clutch on echo trimmer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 27, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i recently had my echo trimmer head stop rotaing. the engine is perfect, but the head just doesn't turn. iwas told from the "dealer" that its probably the clutch, and its going to cost about $160. i just poolked for the first time and realized the clutch for my trimmer is $35. its only a 2100, but its still really strong. how big of a job is it to replace the clutch, never did it?

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I think that the clutch is only spring loaded. Probably one of the springs broke so the centrifical force that usually applys the pressure to the head is not being applied through the springs to the small clutch pieces. I had a similar thing happen with my hedge trimmers that work on the same principal. Total cost for 2 new springs, $2.10. Its a pretty straight forward thing. Save yourself the $160 and do it yourself. If I can, anyone can.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Usually the clutch wears out and then the springs break. When this happens the clutch usually locks on, not off, if you have a cable driveshaft it more than likely the culprit.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If you cant fix it yourself, it would be better to buy a new one for $199.00 than to spend $160.00 for repairs. Just stating the obvious here.

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

that's what i did, i bought a new one. but the other one is in my shed now, and i just saw the price on the clutch, so, i'm thinking back up for cheap.

if i take it apart, this would be my first disassembly on the shaft/clutch section ever. what would i be looking for to diagnose? a broken spring would be obvious, what does a worn clutch look like:confused:

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Sorry, cant help you there fga. I've rebuilt carbs on trimmers but never a clutch. The idea about using it for a backup sounds good.

I would suspect that if it were a worn clutch, that you would have noticed a gradual reduction in performance first. Maybe the problem is simpler that you think. Take it apart and get the investigation part over with before you go nuts trying to speculate what might be wrong.

7. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

I agree with dishboy, if the spring breaks the clutch should lock on, not off. I would suspect a broken cable. I would take it apart before I bought any parts just to be sure. If it is the clutch, there will be a screw in the bottom of the hole that the shaft goes into. You have to take that out to get the clutch bell off, then the rest of the clutch is threaded onto the crankshaft. When you get the clutch bell off you will be able to tell if the spring is broke or not. It should be a big circular spring that goes around the flyweights.

8. dishboy

from zone 6

It looks like a brake shoe thats worn. You see metal instead of shoe material. Make sure you note the direction and position of the shoes BEFORE unbolting and you should be fine. This is not a hard repair.

9. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

All of the centrifugal clutches I have seen are metal on metal. They don't have a lining on them like a traditional clutch in a car. I am not saying that some don't, but the ones I have worked on didn't.

10. dishboy

from zone 6

Echo's do, Shin's do, so?