clutch removal

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mnstrohm, Nov 16, 2007.

1. mnstrohm

mnstrohm LawnSite Member

How do you take a PTO off of a Gravely Walk behind? I bought a repalcement and can't get the old one off. When I go to loosen the bolt on the bottom of the clutch, it rotates the drive belt and I cannot figure out how to get the thing off. Any help? Thanks

2. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

To pull the clutch off pull the spark plug and jam the piston with a peice of clean rope,fold the rope in half so it is in the form of a U if it needs a little help going in use a screwdriver to push it in, the reason to use a folded or 2 way line is you want to be sure all of the rope comes out when your done. Make sure the rope is clean before you put it in the cylinder, remember, cleanlyness is next to godlyness in the combustion chamber.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

???????????????
    I have removed clutches from chain saw like that but PTO clutches on lawnmowers PULL off after you remove the center bolt. The bad news is a lot of the time the electro-magnetic clutches on lawnmowers have to be destroyed to come off. The engine shaft is keyed and clutch pulls off but the problem is one they get rusted on and two there is not much of a way to put a puller on them. Get a can of good penetrating oil and stray the top of the clutch really good. Let it soak over night if you can. And then try to pull it off. I have had to destroy more than a few to get them off. I had to use 3 cans of penetrating oil letting it soak for a week to get on off last summer to replace a leaking engine oil seal and did not what to destroy the clutch in the process. And when you put the clutch back on remember to use anti-seize .
    Good luck

4. mnstrohm

mnstrohm LawnSite Member

thanks guys. Sounds like this might be a job for someone with a bit more mechanical skill than I have.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Fixer, The proper rope method is written in the Briggs service manuals, It's for pinning the piston so the crank won't spin and the bolt can be broken loose by hand.

Some people don't have air tools to zap them out with as we do.

Cya

6. Bevsbedscapes

Bevsbedscapes LawnSite Member

Not sure this will help.....But when we changed engine on our ZT we had to take off the clutch and we did this by for less of a better term Jamming the drive pulley with a screw driver, and that is also how we got it back on the new engine, It was not that fun but it worked....Putting it back on is the fun part when you have to have it just right for the key....

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I guess I am lucky. I have always had an impact gun for such things. Air or electric type.