clutch replacement on trimmer?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fga, Apr 25, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

has anyone ever replaced a clutch on their trimmer? is it a big job?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Throw away, buy new.

They're disposable these days. Spend more than an hour of your time plus parts, and it's not worth it.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 1993 Echo SRM-2501 string trimmer. Replaced a fuel bulb, bump head, and lots of spark plugs. Thats it. Best $340 I've ever spent. Anything goes on it, and its garage sale material.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

aren't clutches around $150? it's worth it if you've got a good trimmer. why would you jsut throw them away? it's really not to much work, especially on a 2cycle.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know the parts price.....But follow me on this....

Go out to your garage, disassemble trimmer clutch assembly, come back inside, call local dealer (or go to dealer), have him order part (or get lucky and have part in stock), get part and replace. Time spent......? 2hrs?

Thats IF things go right. For me, they never EVER do. So that 2-3hrs of my time plus the parts just isn't worth the $279 for a new one.

So for me, if it's out of warranty, I say, go buy a new one.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If I threw away my unit every time we wore out clutches I would be broke. The clutch on Echo cost around $40 and takes all of 15 minutes to replace. Four hex bolts to remove the head and shaft from the engine and one nut holds the clutches. The main reason for buying Echo is they are easy to work on.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

12 seasons....original clutch. I must be doing something right.

How often are you replacing clutches?

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Even my old (mid 80's) Green Machine's never had a clutch go out.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

only once. but on a old trimmer. my shindaiwa's are hardly a year old and no problems. the shindaiwa clutch I know is around $150. you'll wear it out a lot faster if you run it on low throttle. besides that, 2 cycles work best on high throttle. I know some guys who keep using the the whacker with the a bad clutch, the head just keeps spinning. :rolleyes:

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

thanks,
    it is an echo model, and JThomas has the clutch for $35 i think.
    i may PM when i get it apart, ok? :)