Clutch - Scag 36

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ahimon, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ahimon

ahimon LawnSite Member

I have a SW36-13KA. My clutch is not engauging. I checked for power going to the clutch with a test light and got power. I would like to remove the clutch and bench test it. How do I remove the clutch bolt (it turns freely now and rotates the whole clutch)? If I put 12V to one of the clutch leads and ground the other it should engauge right? Thanks for your help :) .

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi and first let me Welcome you to Lawnsite:drinkup:
    If I remember this clutch is adjustable so you may be able to set the air gap on the clutch do a search on air gap adjustment or clutch adjustment there have been plenty of them on this board. Hope this helps:)

3. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

yep, just use a battery or jump pack. postive lead to one side and neg to the other wire, should here a good click. if not prolly bad clutch after checking air gap as mentioned above. also check for resistance with an ohm meter. connect leads to each wire and should get 2.6-3.5 ohms. if its open or low, its a bad clutch also.

4. ahimon

ahimon LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out. Just priced this baby, looks like about $220 delivered for a Warner 461074 clutch :) . Also, the anti-rotation bracket is bolted directly to the clutch and mine was rigged with a rubber hose - should I get the OEM bracket?

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just thought I would save you the search since I had this handy, It's post #2 in this thread; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=152486

Yes I would suggest that, You wouldn't want a clutch to go spinning around and pull the wires out.

And [​IMG] To LawnSite.

6. ahimon

ahimon LawnSite Member

Thanks Restrorob. I did set the gap at .015 and fixed a broken wire at the clutch. Just hard to beleive that it worked last week and the wire broke and still the clutch didn't engauge after repairing the wire and setting the gap. Where could I get the anti-rotation parts. The Manuals on the Scag website don't show the part numbers for my model. Maybe I'll call the parts store and ask them :confused: .

7. Restrorob

Whats your full model and serial numbers ?

8. ahimon

ahimon LawnSite Member

Sw36-13ka

9. Restrorob

Sorry, I struck out on that bracket also. But in my poking around I found the clutch below for 163.00, Just click on all walk-behinds to check the price and shipping.

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/169.htm

10. ahimon

ahimon LawnSite Member

Thanks for looking. How do I get this clutch off? It just keeps spinning :confused: . Will I need a puller? will I have to pull the engine to replace it? How do I lock up the shaft?