Clutch Units

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, May 2, 2008.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm demoing a Gravely tomorrow. I've been researching specs and features on mowers like crazy. One of the many things I've noticed about the Gravely is the mentioning of the Ogura 250 ft-lb Electric Clutch. Even the dealer brought it up as well.

But after looking at Hustler's and Deere's websites, I can't find any mentioning of the clutch specs.. It's sort of hard comparing apples to apples if I only have one apple.

I've heard of Ogura clutches before but is 250 ft-lb. a big deal or is it some marketing thing Gravely puts in there because it "sounds good"? Who knows, maybe every commercial mower out there has the exact same clutch. Or maybe Gravely is willing to spend the money to put heavier duty cluthes in their units than the competition has. :)

2. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I have all Exmarks with 200lb ogura clutches on them and no problems but i keep a mower long enough to run it under warranty and sell it and buy new again so it there is a problem its covered for me

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You must be demoing an XDZ model if it has the 250 ft-lb clutch. Ogura and warner both make great clutches. 250 ft-lb is a strong clutch maybe even overkill. Ours has the 200 ft-lb clutch and is working perfectly for us. If it ever goes bad I will replace it with the 250 ft-lb clutch but I dont forsee any problems with the one it has now.

Im not sure what clutch our 1998 or 99 lazer hp has but the mower has 2200 hours on it and it still has the original clutch.

4. lawnspecialties

Thanks guys.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Yes, it is an XDZ. I'm looking at the 252 and the 260.

5. ProStreetCamaro

Awsome mowers for sure! We love our new 160Z and our older 34Z. The X-Factor deck is a great deck. It doesnt clog up at all. If a little builds up in nasty conditions it cleans itself out as you use it the rest of the day. I havent had to scrape anything out from under the deck at all this spring.

6. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

If you're looking at a 252 or 260 XDZ I would recommend the 26LC Kawasaki engine. It's a proven workhorse (992152 in the 260, not sure about the 252 model #). I'm sure the 27hp AC Kaw will likely be fine but it's a newer design that hasnt been out in the field long enough yet

7. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I kinda wish I would have stocked a 160 this year. The only 100 series units I brought in were the 144Z and the 148XDZ.

8. ProStreetCamaro

Man order in a 160 if you can. This is a sweet mower. I love the low center of gravity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lawnspecialties

I have the 26hp LC Kawasaki on my 66" SuperZ and had one on my 60" SuperZ I just sold. Definitely a smooth running, yet strong engine.

Being the power monger I am, I was thinking the 26 or 27 Kawasaki for the 52" and the 31 Kawasaki for the 60". :weightlifter:

10. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Prostreet: is that a 72" mower. Deck looks offset like my kubota, great for trimming close. Looks like a great machine!