Clutch wires

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by tensefan, Aug 12, 2006.

1. tensefan

tensefan LawnSite Member
    from tn

Having problems with the pigtale running from the main harness to the clutch
    coming loose, wires coming out and just plan burning up. I've had it in the shop 3 times in the last two weeks any ideas. it is a super z with the xr7 deck
    it's got 125 hours on it

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me your information along with your model and serial # and the dealer you are working with.

3. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, mine too been to the shop twice now.. I'm picking it up monday.. PJ, I think you have my information...

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

This appears to be a common problem. My past SuperZ did it (melted), a friend of mine's Mini did it two weeks ago (just quit working), and now my latest SuperZ is doing it. About every ten times I try to start the blades, I have to get off and wiggle the connection down at the clutch, then pull the button and it hits. I'm going to my dealer tomorrow afternoon if it lasts that long.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I do.
    You should have a e-mail from our service manager, he sent you one on Wednesday afternoon.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You need a new pigtail. When something ( sticks) catches the wires it pulls the clamp loose that holds the connection. I put "die electric" grease in the connection and tape the wires so nothing can get at them. Its a "bad" setup, too unprotected for wires to be in that area.

7. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I had to find this old thread to see how long it's been, looks like 5 weeks and now my mower is broke down AGAIN!! This is really getting old, My dealer is dropping off a new pigtail in the A.M. I'll add this to the list of aggravations and the hours I've spent throwing pieces and parts at this machine striving to get it right....:dizzy:

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Mine had a hole burn thru it right where the wires are exposed the end of the plug. I repaired it and coated the wires with liquid electrical tape then wrapped it with E Tape and so far so good. But I have a spare from my dealer that I did the same thing too. Don't put one back on it that has bare wires exposed before the clutch. Hopefully that will take care of it.

9. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a old SB on the issue

Brian O