Clutch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kroll, May 28, 2001.

1. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

I hit a big ole mole hill enough to stall mower and now my electric clutch
    won't engage as sharply & Quickly as before.
    The dealer I purchased from is out of business no others want ot share information.
    Do any of you know how to adj. electric clutches if possible ?
    everything works fine except it's a little slower to engage

Thanks
    Ken :confused:

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

The only adjustment is the belt. How do you mean it starts slower now? Is there a hesitation from when you flip the switch to it engaging or after it engages it's slow catching up to the engine speed?

3. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

It is slow to catch up to engine speed.
    I've had DC's that just flat out quit they seemed to rattle and slip and not let
    the blades engage . This Scag just comes in slow but don't slip under load
    I have a buddy that works on Comm. mowers I'll; see him tomorrow
    Prob. just put a new clutch in and move on. Been doing this since 87
    never had one act quite like this oh yea my back up is setting in the shop bent valve same day when it rains it pours.

K.R.

4. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

There basically are two types of electrical clutches, adjustable and non-adjustable. The adjustable ones have usually three bolts with springs on the outside of the clutch, which can be tightened to meet the specs. Specs will be in thousands of an inch (0.035") which is checked with a feeler gauge at three different openings of the clutch housing. Check a repair manual.
    If it is the non-adjustable type you are about to loose your clutch since it is slipping. To prolong use, engage the clutch at lower rpms.

5. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

Thanks for the Info.
    I have found the Specs on Adj. this clutch & done so
    found a dealer that had time to help . Little does he know that he just sold a new Mower as soon as the budget alows and he will see me next week for timmer line blades oil filters ect. he had time for me !!!!! any way the adj. was futile to little to late new clutch on the way.

Thanks for your help.
    K.R.

6. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Clay...

It is amazing the amount of people that don't believe in using the lowest RPM's possible when engaging the clutch! I obvious never knew there was an adjustment on some clutches, thanks for the info.