CMG Residual Effect

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by green_man, Sep 5, 2006.

1. green_man

green_man LawnSite Member
    from nj

does anyone have data or experience on how long the pre-emergent effect of CMG lasts? how does it stack up against, say, dimension, with a supposed season-long residual?

2. green_man

green_man LawnSite Member
    from nj

CGM - corn gluten meal is what I mean to say. could the moderator change the name of this thread?

3. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

As far as dimension or barricade corn gluten doesn't really come close. Corn gluten although with use every season and using the correct dosage will green up the lawns and everys eason provide more and more help to control crab grass. You must explain to the customer what crab grass is and its function, why its there, and bascially talk them into a corn gluten pre emergent in the spring. But as far as chemical pre emergents, well, hey, they got us beat. One is toxic and the other is edible......... U CHOOSE!

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

All of the data I have seen and heard of says that Corn gl;uten works after 3 or more years of use. It takes a while to build up the enzyme it contains to levels where it will affect germination. Two questions NOBODY can or will answer for are:
    How long does it last?
    Can I still plant grass on these areas?

I have used it in the past. Great as a fertilizer, if you can afford it (cost me $50 to do my 5500 sq ft lawn). Useless as a pre emergant. Edible? Who cares? Whats the point of using it if it doesn't work? A little chemical pre emergant is better than alot of post emergant, in my opinion.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with the latter statement. I recommend CGM to customers who already have a thick stand of turf and walk them through the proper cultural practices routine. It takes 3 years to reach the "optimum level" of control. How long does it last? Who knows for sure. Not very long this season with 13 inches of rain in one shot here. Did the chemical last after that? Not in too many places with all of the crabgrass I see. Personally, I would recommend a spring and early fall app. Can you still plant grass in those areas? When were you planning on seeding? As long as you break the barrier, I would seed like the chem pre-emergent as well.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

So how does CGM actually work? Is the result the same as chemical PreM's in that root pruning takes place?

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that is a bit of an exaggeration.........

8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i cant find any data that says it ever works!

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That's because you've never used it correctly...

Your best best is to not use any pre-emergent, and touch up the crabgrass infested areas with Crabgrass Alert...

www.crabgrassalert.com

Had to do it Al...Must be nice that you get free press for your product...

10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

what does not finding any data that says it works have to do with using it properly natty?

try and keep up sista!