1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

C'mon warm up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Mar 22, 2005.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I want the weather to warm up so I can start working. I'm bored out of my mind at the moment and procrastinating most my pre-season things I need to get done. Nothing is pushing me right now. It was gorgeous beginning March (low to mid 60s) but it has cooled down again. I don't mind getting wet, and I don't mind being cold. But wet AND cold really sucks.

I have my preseason order down in the garage but still need to sort it all out. Still need to get new signage on one truck, new invoices, send out spring letter (city council votes today on water restrictions for this year so I am waiting to put that in my letter), etc, etc. As soon as my letters are received, my phone will be ringing off the hook anyway.

Anyone have big changes or big goals this year? I now have 3 realtors that are putting my company and info in their newsletter or postcards that they are sending out. Each one has between 500-1800 apiece. Other than that I haven't changed marketing or gone after more work. Another lawn application company that sends me all their repairs has grown even more and I'll probably get a lot more from them. But for the most part, the 2 of us can't handle much more work. April and May is 10-12 hour days in the field anyhow. Not sure how we'll take on a big surplus of new clients. I can see my Sundays will be filled for those 2 months :angry: My sales and profits will probably go up again but not as much as last year. I'm thinking 10-15%. If I could find the right guy to take on as another technician I would do it. But it's tough to find someone when they know they'll be laid off in November.

Sorry for the babbling. Just bored.
  2. I know how you can take on that surplus......heh heh heh....don't work on Sundays...that is bad for business..for that matter don't work on Saturdays either..whatever you cannot do from 12-4pm Monday thru Friday, send it to another honest, reliable, talented, and of course desperate irrigation guy in your area. Save him from having to mow grass ok?
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I'm going to have to do something, and I figured you'd be getting my overflow. But I can't grow the business by sending you (or someone else) all the work we can't handle. Alot of the new calls we get will be referrals so referring it out again can probably sound to new clients that we don't want to work or something.

Are you back from Tucson?
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry - back from Phoenix/Scottsdale?
  5. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you guys are finally getting some rain and snow.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We did get decent rain/snow this winter. Found out today that restrictions will still be twice a week though. I think 3 days is best for our arid climate.
  7. Haven't gone yet...leaving Sunday. I've been in Denver building a fence...yipee! I need the money though..lol.

You and I both know that if you want to grow the business you are going to have to go out on a limb and find someone else for this overflow....I would be glad to work out a subcontracting deal with you if you like...much like I have with companies in Scottsdale. It will help your bottom line and you will retain the clients...

Maybe you need a partner...? The ugly P word eh? LOL!

Seriously though, if you are going to be turning down 10-15 calls per week because you cannot get to them, it is time for another guy right? I have been there done that...you have a decision to make, get bigger and in turn get bigger headaches, or think outside the box and find a way to make some money off of these calls that you are getting without growing. Or...stay the same size, raise your rates, do less work for more money....that is what I have done in Scottsdale and someday I hope to do the same thing in Colorado. It is really up to you Dana, you know that.

You go through this every season and at some point you have to "sh.t or get off the pot" right? Big or small, in between sux. From my point of view, bigger isn't always better, but that is because my Big Company took a crap. My fault, no room on this post for my whining.

Ugh...call me if you want.