co. shirts or classified ads

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wowmowwow, Feb 5, 2007.

1. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

with limited funds what should i do first this year?
    buy compnay shirts and hoodies? OR
    buy ad space

input please.....thanks

2. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Do you want to look good while you're sitting around waiting for the phone to ring or do you want to be busy?

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I would buy ad space to help you build a customer base and after that you'll have the money to do up shirts,cards,etc

4. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

yes definately go for ad space!

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Alright I have a couple of questions before I can answer this question. You have been in business for five years correct? So, do you have a good customer base already, or are you looking for a large gain in accounts? Some folks would like to gain 50 - 100 accounts in one year others are only looking to add 10 - 20. Do you already have shirts? If not, have you had any kind of uniform at all the past five years? Are you solo or do you have employees?

Here are my thoughts. Classified ad space can be a wast of time. You will get a lot of tire kickers. I feel that it is an added mark of professionalism when your employees are uniformed. However, if you are low on customers I would gear my budget towards acquiring new accounts. Flyering and door hanging are great methods of picking up new accounts as well. When you say that you have limited funds I would gear my advertising in this direction. Why? With this method of advertising you may get less calls, and less customers. However, if decide where those customers are located. If you pick up 5 customers in a neighborhood you are already doing work in it cold be better then picking up 10 in neighboring towns. How? Less windshield time, less load unload time, less gas, etc. You will make more and spend less.

Sorry so long. Your question is not a silly one, but it is comparing apples to oranges. You really need to determine what you are trying to accomplish, and what you plan is for this season. JMO

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Getting close to mowing season, i would go with flyers and door hangers. Target the areas you are already working in and surrounding areas.
    I took an add out in the paper last year for 1 month, only got 2 jobs for it. I picked up 28 lawns total for the year. The rest i got by handing out flyers. My opinion flyers and door hangers will get you more work than an ad will.
    But that's just my opinion, this year i am gonna pass out alot more flyers in early spring then wait till i am making money to run an ad when i am to busy to pass out the flyers. This way i will still have some sort of advertising going on.
    Shirts are good, but don't spend your money on them if you have a limited cash flow and need to advertise to get customers.

7. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

I agree go with door hangers or flyers to go door to door with...target areas you already have customers in...how many people are really going to write down the info off your shirt?

8. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

this is exactly what i would do...get some customers from the ad..that will pay for the shirts..get the shirts to make you look more professional and then u get some word of mouth going

9. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

thanks for yalls input.... i am solo. i have about 10 accounts to start with. i only want to spend around $300-500 for the whole year for advertising. i just found out that to run a classified ad went up to $300vs last yrs $75 (30day)in the big city paper. i know i can get ALOT of flyers made up ffrom my budget. and as far as the uniform i wanted to at least look nice while i wait for the phone to ring...lol

10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Trinity had a great post.

As to uniforms... What about simple T-shirts with a logo on them? If you look around, you will probably be able to pickup logo'ed or embroidered T-shirts for the same as or not much more than buying new ones anyways. If you buy "in bulk", usually 10+, you should be able to get a good discount. You are going to need T-shirts anyways, right? And if (or when) you hire a couple guys, even if they just have the same colored T-shirt on, it can set your company apart without costing you a small fortune.

When business gets rolling for you, then you might want to look at more expensive uniforms or fancier shirts.