1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Coarseness of blade grinding wheel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Dec 15, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am looking for a Ruby grinding wheel for my blade grinder. What coarseness do most you you guys use? I searched the site and found nothing. They range from 36 grit all the way up to 76. I am guessing 36 to 46...what do ya think?

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

36 git-r-done or should I say grit-r-done???
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Keep in mind if you go with the 36, you will go through blades much faster, I would go with a 50 grit or so.
  4. walker-talker

from Midwest

But the 50 grit would take longer...correct? Also, which would be more apt to burn the temper out....lower grit or higher. Of course I understand other factors are involved such as speed and pressure.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

The kind on a stand. With an 80 grit belt. It seems to do the trick and keeps the blades even.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious... How wide is your belt? I see industrial ones that have a 4" to 6" wide sanding belt on them. Actually that's a pretty neat deal. Just take the blade and hold it at the right angle, using the platform i assume, and push it against the belt. In 10 seconds pull it off and chack it, if it's not done just repeat. The whole cutting edge would get the same amount removed all the way across.

I guess the catch is that good belt sanders cost as much as some blade grinders!

I still use my angle grinder and get along fine...

The corser the grit the faster you can sharpen. The faster it gets done the less heat. My dealer/mechanic shop has a blade grinder. I noticed one day how razor sharp and perfect a set of customers blades were that were sitting on the counter. The guy said that they switched to the corsest wheel and get better results that way.
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Dont think you can sharpen a mulching blade with a belt sander though...right, only standards?
  8. walker-talker

from Midwest

A friend of mine locally uses a belt sander. His dad has a machine shop, so it's a commercial grade piece of equipment. It does a pretty good job. I already have a Lesco blade grinder, but just looking for a replacement wheel.
  9. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

The 36 will take off material quicker, but not more of it. It is the operator that determines how much material to remove and not the size of the grit.
    In addition, the 36 will produce less heat while working.
  10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I use coarse wheels for speed. I don't really worry too much about "temper", as the first sticks and rock you hit will dull the blade anyway. If you sharpen regularly, you won't "burn" the blades because they shouldn't be that dull. Get 'em sharp enough to cut and get 'em back on the mowers and get 'em to mowing.