1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

coating for trimmer racks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeklein, Feb 18, 2003.

1. mikeklein

mikeklein LawnSite Member

I built a nice set of trimmer racks,identical to the Green Touch type,except I used round 1/2" retaining pins instead of their flat type,plus I designed a nice storage area that mounts to the back of one of the towers for a handheld blower.I was going to buy a set this year,but they go for like $225. I looked at one and decided I could build onefor alot less.I used 2x2 steel tubing and 2x3 brackets.total cost was around $35.I have been looking for a coating for them though.theirs is like rubbery yellow plastic.anyone know what coating this is?Thanks-----Mike. P.S. I hate winter,cannot wait for spring!
  2. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

i dunno what the coating is but what about the spray in bedliner? I think that thatwould work great. The plastic would peel after time but the spray in bedliner would never come off and i think line x offers 15 different colors (give or take a few)

Take some pics...i have been thinking of designing my own and all the help would be good!

3. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

use what Zq8 said, works great.:D
  5. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I had an idea that you could use some type of rubber, like that of a rubber bed mat for a truck, and cut it to where the trimmers would rub on the metal and use a strong adhesive to glue the rubber to the metal.

- In my opinion, the spray on bedliner would also scratch trimmer shafts and handles.
  6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's the same stuff I was thinking. You can get it instantly @ home cheapo for about the same price instantly.:D
  7. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

you could always use something different and softer for where they sit but the spray on bedliner would be the most permanent
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I was thinking of the plastic dip then read that Zq8 already hit it. Never used it but I can see endless uses for it. Guess I need to get a can.
  9. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i used spray on rubberized undercoating on my trimmer racks.
  10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i used the plastic dip from home depo after having 2 of my shafts break in half (pretty funny walking through a yard when the motor fell off)