Cobble apron

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PRapoza451, Aug 16, 2004.

1. PRapoza451

PRapoza451 LawnSite Member

What would you guys have done?

I finished a driveway cobble border and apron in cement for a client last week. We used 4”x7”x9” granite cobbles for both edging and the apron. The cobbles were laid on the flat (7”x9” up). We laid them in 6” of concrete with fiber mesh. The problem is that the driveway is not square to the dirt road. So we laid a soldier course parallel to the road and all other courses are square to the driveway and there are some cut wedges in the lower right corner near the road. Well the client doesn’t like the look of the cut wedges. I think it would have look like crap if we laid everything parallel to the road and had it off square to the edging and vice versa. BTW there were not enough courses to cheat the difference, only 12 courses and 18 inches out of square. One more thing. The communication was all over phone, fax and email. Never met the guy in my life. He was referred by a builder friend. I initially insisted on meeting him but he wouldn’t be around and wanted to get things going, I’ll never do that again. The driveway existed we only provided the base, border and apron and is very close to the lot line so couldn’t square it up to the road.

apron1.gif

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Chances are that he is not going to notice the wedges that much. He'd be more likely to notice the pavers not square with the drive.

Personally, I'd leave it the way it is. I hope you got a written contract of some sort.... I'd tell him that if he wanted it square to the road, then I'd do it, but it would be T&M to do it. Then I'd charge twice my hourly rate.... Sometimes you have to make the clients happy, whether they are right or not. Many times when you do that, they realize they should have listened to you in the first place.....:rolleyes:

I don't think I've ever seen aprons like that laid parallel to the road. Always with the drive.

HTH.

Dan