Cobble stone driveway border

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by shovelracer, May 4, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

2. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

I could only stomach the first minute and a half.
    1. Who the hell uses seashells for driveway stone?
    2. 6" down, 4" of slag sand for a driveway?
    3. "this is so there is no sinkage"...sinkage. Bob treats this guy like a pro using terms like sinkage to refer to what he says isn't but what is really going to happen to cobblestone laid on a bed of only 4" of slag sand.

I'm about to go put much more of a base beneath a small patio around a shed so I can avoid the infamous "sinkage". Maybe I overdo it. I might be best off asking Bob what he thinks.

3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I've done multiple crushed shell driveways they are actually pretty nice if you live by the shore.

4. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

aren't they a tad sharp? I suppose crushed means pretty fine, no large shards? We don't have much demand for that here in MI...go figure so I'll take your word for it and look for some when I'm out east next time. Sounds interesting to say the least.

5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I have seen the work of that company and it is shoddy at best nice house but landscape wise they leave much to be desired. I have seen aprons the did that had a "sinkage" problem. I live next to Centerville.

6. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Not the best for walking on barefoot but it adds to the "shore cottage" look. It stinks like hell though when you first get it if its fresh.

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

the seagulls love them :D