cobwebs in lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jul 29, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

is there anything you can do about these? i know that they are mycellium and you do not want to drag them or spread them in the lawn. hose them down? scoop it up with a rag? lick it up?

what do you suggest to your customers when they see them besides don't mow when the lawn is wet and don't water in the evening?

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Is it mycellium or sod webworm?

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like spiders--common at this time of year. Mainly visible when covered with dew in early morning.

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

If they are webs near the upper leaf canopy then they are spiders. Do they persist after the sun rises? If so they're spider webs & not mycelium. Sod webworm webbing is very low in the thatch & won't be seen while walking by.

5. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

it does sound like most of the ones i see are actually spiders probably, but what about the ones i know for sure are fungus webs? is there a proper way to get rid of these?

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Identify the fungus disease--then treat with a fungicide. Do you have red thread, dollarspot, brown patch? Gray leaf spot?

A fungicide won't help with spiders, of course. An insecticide might kill them--but no reason to do it--and it would be an off- lablel (off-legal) use.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I agree with Riggle. :usflag: