Cockleburrs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by iceberger, Feb 19, 2007.

1. iceberger

iceberger LawnSite Member

I live in Arkansas and we have small round burrs that stick to our dogs all over our yard. We call the cockleburrs, but I'm not sure if that's the correct term or not. Anyway, I'm wanting to kill them now as I've heard that they come out while the grass is still dormant. Does anybody have any ideas of what I could spray on them that will dill them before they come completely out?

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Cockle what?
    i would suggest grabing a couple cockles hostage and bring them down to your local AG office , identify it and and have a nice Cockle BB-Q

3. MRMelton

MRMelton LawnSite Member

simizine will take care of them. It's better to treat them in the fall but I've had pretty good look in the spring

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

treat with round up when they emerge

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Easiest control is with MSMA, shoot those sticky little bastards in the first tillering stage and you'll have good control - cheap too.

6. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of grass? MSMA could be lethal

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Good point - you don't want to kill all of the St Augustine.

8. iceberger

I'm on 2 acres and almost anything green I consider grass. Most of the grass I go have is bermuda.
    I'm looking for something I can broadcast with a pull-behind 15 gallon tank sprayer.
    I've already sprayed with Spectracide with 2-4-D a week ago. It hasn't rained but I don't see much difference. It didn't even kill the clover.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the temps warm.

10. iceberger

They are now (about 70). But when I sprayed last week they are in the mid 50's. Too cold?