Coconut Tranplant Help Needed URGENT!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by oceanpotion, Jul 26, 2007.

1. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

A friend of a friend of a friend got some cocos that I would really like to save for my personal collection. They were dug out of soil close to the ocean about 4 months ago and now my friend is moving and told me to take them. I popped them out this morning. Here is the description: There is maybe 12 inches of root ball left, the fronds look like for some reason they got pruned... they are in half with brown/silver on the tips. One of the trunks has a really soft spot above the root ball like a broken neck. I think the salty soil near the ocean may be why the brown/silver is on the tips... maybe messed up pH or something.... ?

Is there anyway I can save these things, yes or no? I will try either way to save them but I do need some pointers.
  2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Trim the fronds totally and plant them- make sure there are no air pockets in the hole by filling one third , water and work the ball back and forth , fill one third and repeat , then finish filling the hole. Work in some palm special fertilizer into the soil . The plant needs to grow all new roots , so make sure to cut back all greenery . Good luck , the damaged trunk probably won't make it .
  3. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

Thanks buddy..