coil for a 20+ year old B&S

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LarryF, Aug 26, 2010.

1. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a 10HP B&S
    Model 243432
    Type 0732-01
    Code 7908281

Problem is no spark. Plug, points and condenser seem to be ok, and I didn't see any wire breaks in the vicinity of the coil when I removed the recoil starter assembly. I set the points at 0.020", but I don't see any sparks when I pull the starter cable. I'm thinking it might be the coil, but I don't have the engine parts manual and can't find any reference to it on the web, so I don't know which coil to order.

Can anyone help or perhaps suggest what else might be the problem?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Larry,

Just purchase part #398811 electronic ignition coil and be done with it, Just cut the wire coming out of the points cover and leave the points/condenser in place. The new coil should come with a new kill lead wire in the box.

3. LarryF

Thanks! That's much appreciated. I'm so out of touch with this that I wasn't even aware this could be done. When I Googled that number, I saw a lot of places that can provide it but no explanation of how to go about making the replacement. Do I just remove the recoil starter assembly and take out the old coil and make a swap? Is there a web site showing what to do?

4. LarryF

While waiting to hear from someone who might provide instructions for making the replacement, I did some searching on my own and while in the process, stumbled upon the Outdoor Distributors web site that provides the owners manuals for almost all B&S engines, including the one I didn't have. In case anyone is interested, this is the site:

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/briggs_and_stratton/briggs_part_lists.html

and if you go to their home page, there are similar manuals for many other engines and lawn-equipment.

But I still didn't find what I had been looking for, so if anyone can provide the procedure for replacing a point-condenser-coil system with a 398811, I'd like to see it before ordering that electronic coil system.

5. LarryF

This must be the one you recommended, Restrorob. But maybe not since I don't see a kill lead in the photo. Looks like there are a lot of after-market substitutes for the 398811, so maybe one of them had the kill lead.

398811 electronic coil.jpg

6. Restrorob

Yes,

The black rolled up wire in the lower left is the new kill wire lead, One end plugs onto the new coil the other end with the gold wire connector goes to the screw post on the throttle control assembly.

All you have to do is remove the old coil and install the new, Use any business card between the new coil and flywheel to set proper air gap. To save having to remove the flywheel just cut the points wire as close to the flywheel as you can and let it be, If you do it this way you wont need the rest of the parts in the above pic. Just the coil and kill lead.....

7. LarryF

Thanks again! OK, it's now been ordered. The place I'm getting it from volunteered an alternate to the B&S product for 10 bucks less, but I declined since I'm not too sure a bad coil is my real problem and would like to keep this repair as painless as possible. On this particular engine the points & capacitor are mounted external to the flywheel in a box on the side of the engine, but I appreciate your advice about not removing it anyway.

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I just looked this up and cant find a type 0732...but there are 0733-0739.

They dont show the points coil forwarding to the non points coil on these engines like they do on most of them so you may have the wrong parts coming.

The right coil for your engine would be a 298968.

398811 is used on later dates of your engine so it may work...but usually they forward the older parts to the electronic coil if that is the case.

Is this an old Cast Iron briggs by chance?

9. Restrorob

You may be right pugs,

I didn't go to Briggs to look this up, I whipped open my Rotary catalog and the 398811 is listed as fitting 7 thru 16hp single cylinder engines both horizontal and vertical. And we all know the old 326400 series 16's were iron blocks.

If you look at 0733 type number engine it's shown with the magnatron bug that can be installed on the 298968 coil and the coil appears to look the same as any other.

We also know that type numbers denote different charging systems/air filters/throttle controls etc on the base model series engines, Therefore the coil mount post should be the same on all engines in that series.

I haven't a clue as to why this 298968 coil doesn't supersede to the 398811, Maybe a error in Briggs part ?

Since the magnatron is listed, All Larry has to do is take his old coil to a local dealer and match it up with a 398811.

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Yah I really dont know as they list the Magnetron for models after 81 code date for the 0733 or others. And the flywheel doesnt change....so I would think it should work but no clue. I did not pay attention whether there were different keys and they dont give info on the block itself...so if the flywheel, key and block mounting for the coil are all the same...I dont see why the magnetron would not work.

I just thought it might be iron because it has that separate oil pan. I am not familiar with Briggs vintage the time of my birth LOL.

Could be an error on briggs part but my distributor has like 30 of those old coils in stock and their system doesnt forward them....so guessing there might be a reason for that.