Coil on 29 hp Kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scchamblee, Jun 9, 2008.

1. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

The coil on one of the cylinders on my JD 797 went out last week. Mower is 2 1/2 years old ans 345 hours on it. ($57 part - $3-400 labor)

Just wondering if anybody else had this problem. I didn't figure a coil would go out so soon.

2. scchamblee

nobody has any input?

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I had 2 go on the same mower 3 weeks ago with 110 hrs took 2 weeks to get replacements but thankfully the dealer gave me a loaner From what I hear its very common with those motors

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah its very common on kawi engines. I would save the labor and do it myself.

5. scchamblee

John Deere's brilliant engineers and put it where you have to break down half the mower to get to the coil. But yes had I known for sure that was what it was I would have done it myself. But I was not sure what was wrong just knew one cylinder was not firing. I had to go back to my real job for the rest of the week and needed it running when I got home on Friday so I could cut.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I never did understand how a coil would go out.....

I have herd of them failing, Just never seen a dead one.

7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Something to do with poor insulation. It gets fried off if the coil is overheated. Why this happens, I have no idea. Perhaps using wrong spark plug, different resistance causing too much current. Or poor manufacture I just don't know.

I wish someone smart would explain it to us all.