Coil test

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawn6@bigpond, Aug 24, 2005.

1. lawn6@bigpond

lawn6@bigpond LawnSite Member

What is the best way the see if a coil is any good with using expencive tester .

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what type coil you want to test. I do have a ac operated coil tester but it will not test the eletronic ignition type coils only the points type.
    The easiest test is right on the engine with the kill wire disconnected and a spark tester, But this test will not tell you if the coil is breaking down when getting hot, So this test should be done at the time the engine starts acting up to find if it's heat related.

3. SER

SER LawnSite Member

This is just an idea. Try using the spark tester that has the light in the window. This tests for intermittent spark, but should give you enough information on that coil. Or you can do like restrobob, use the coil testers, but this is an expensive way to do it if you go out and buy one. Try taking it to a "buddy" at a repair shop that has a coil tester. That is if they will do it for you as a favor.
    S.E.R

4. Restrorob

These inline lighted spark testers will NOT work on Kohler electronic ignitions, They WILL give a false test. Kohler has their own spark tester for these systems. One is part# KO1046 with capacitor discharge system, The other is part# KO1047 for all without capacitor discharge system.
    These can be purchased by calling OTC/SPX CORP. at 1-800-578-7375.
    I also found the lighted type gives a false test on Onan engines also after 2hrs. of :realmad:

5. lawn6@bigpond

lawn6@bigpond LawnSite Member

The main sort of engines out here used are Briggs , Honda & Victa Power Torque two stroke would your idea's work on small units such as brushcutters , and chainsaw's

6. Restrorob

I've had no problems using the light type testers on the units you listed above, only the Kohlers and Onans.