1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Coiling cable

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbailey52, Aug 14, 2013.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im the creepy hardscaping guy venturing into this side of the site....

So when we are on jobs and have to more heads for walkways, or add a zone or two for a new job, I have noticed a lot of guys 'coiling' up their control wires inside the clock box, and valve boxes.... is there a special tool/trick to this? Or are they just twisting it around a screw driver?

Back to the pavers........

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

1/2 inch pipe. It's done as a measure of safety against lightning

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

It's also a waste of time. IMOP

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Well, then waste your time doing something else. :)

5. irritation

Thanks for the permission but I already do.

6. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen the control wires in the box coiled up super tight... Almost like it was wrapped around a pen. Does that sound right?

7. irritation

No, I've seen systems with the wires coiled like that and they were junk homeowner installed systems. Engineers that know everything but common sense.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The one really useful application of coiled wire is in a long run (100+ ft) between valve boxes. Midway between the exposed ends, you form the coil, and enclose it in a length of pipe you split, then taped back together. The reason for this is to allow for contraction of the wire in cold weather, with the enclosed coil providing slack.

9. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

It also gives you a nice coil for locating when you have a shorted solenoid. Even with a solenoid that ohms out at 0, a decent sized coil of wire will set the locator off. That and the fact that it gives you lots of slack to work with if you need to replace a solenoid are the reasons I do it.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I always understood a wire coil was to help absorb a lightning stirike.