Coiling cable

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbailey52, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

A shunt wire from the coil to Boot's privates should prove the theory.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How about an over-under number for the inductance of your coiled wire?

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

In audio Yes,,, simply because air coils are unaffected by the current they are carrying. A ferro coil will peak early during a moderate power event and then drop and introduce a harmonic artifact. In hifi you don't want distortion in the network. With air coils you have better power handling higher efficiency and operate near the 1ghz frequencies Ferromagnetic coils can suffer from iron loss also sometimes called copper loss at higher frequencies, not all but most ferro coils will loose it above 100 mhz.

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Really? Never heard that reason. I've always done it to allow a solenoid enough slack to pull it out of the box if needed when servicing, yet keep the wires neat in the box. And I've never heard of a lightning ground strike around here in my 30+ years in the business.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Derryberry and Lefty both feel the coils work. I don't know Derryberry but i have read his book. Lefty didn't write a book but he did teach me a lot about sprinklers.

I can't say that coils work and i can't say that they do. What i can say is, i would rather use the coils and never find out they work than not use them and have a strike or spike damage and wonder, what if???

As far as no ground strikes in your area, you're in a good place. We get them often enough in Jeff.

In '73 a cowboy and his horse were struck and killed while working a gate (in the Hollister hills i believe) . I don't remember his name right now but i remember it was his 21st birthday.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Did one last week. ICC blown right off the back of a barn. 6 solonoids and 80 ft of wire.

7. Stillwater

AI did you happen to snap any pictures ?

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

No. havnt plugged my camara in in over a yr.

9. Stillwater

A smoldering icc would make nice wall paper

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'm tempted to set up a lightning rod connected to a controller and record video.