cold air induction kits

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mcwlandscaping, Aug 23, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

anyone have them installed on their gas trucks? any improvements in power, motor sound or fuel economy that are noticable? and also what brand do you have?

thanks
    mike

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I install what ever my customer wants insalled. After all.. they have searched the internet and talked to all their tuner buds.. so they know what they want.
    Cold air kits are BS.... save yur $$$$$$
    But hey... if ya don't believe me... shell out the bucks and do some REAL gas mileage testing and report back on yur findings.
    Nothing like doing the R&D on yur dime eh!

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Just put a K&N replacement panel filter on your truck just because it'll last forever as long as you clean it with the oil and take good care of it. Don't do it beucase of the HP gains, the sound, the fuel economy, those are all gimicks. Cold air intakes are stupid unless you actually have an induction hood. I think those kids with Honda's are hilarious, they put a cold air intake on their car so that they have a cone filter not shielded from heat in a hot engine compartment. After you do that, seems to me that the charge air would be hotter, not cooler.

The K&N replacement filters doesn't give you any more performance, they just allow you to spend $60 on a filter that will last more than a few thousand miles, that's all.

4. mcwlandscaping

ok then, what would you suggest for parts or kits to improve gas mileage and/or engine power. yes i realize that a lot of parts that increase hp will make fuel mileage worse. I just need suggestions for both. if that makes sense!!lol

thanks
    mike

5. mcwlandscaping

ok, will deffinatly do that, how can you beat a lifetime filter!!!! any idea on how much those cost?

thanks

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

$60, but don't get a cold air induction kit. If anyone found out you put one on that truck, no offense man, but they'd probably rip on you forever. :drinkup: It's a good truck for what you're using it for, but I wouldn't go out and spend a bunch of money trying to charge it up.

See this is the part where you save your money by not putting crap on your work truck so that when the day comes to buy a nice weekend ride you have a little extra. I'm a real fan of Audi, the girls love 'em :laugh:

7. mcwlandscaping

lol, yea, i agree, just want to make it mine in some slight way, nothing huge. $58.99 for the K&N for my truck, should have checked autozone before i asked! What dad and i are doing is replacing some things just to be sure as we arn't sure of the exact history of the truck. We are replacing plugs, plug wires, air filter, all fluids, and a few other things just to get it to the point where we know the status of all the critical things on the truck.

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I bought the K&N stock replacement. With cold weather plowing, running in the dust and all the crap we put our trucks through, get the K&N stock replacement.

The best thing I did for my truck for power/fuel mileage is a tune. It will really lay some rubber down now (i'd estimate 30 hp gain) and I get better gas mileage (16 highway (don't drive city unloaded)). I'm not sure about a tune for your truck, but it was great for my 6.0.

9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

around $60 - $250 depending on what you get. but trust me on this, i just got my van a few days ago too, for the first couple of days i went crazy thinking of all the accessories and parts i could put into it. save your money because you are soon going to feel the real cost of ownership. Fuel, oil, insurance, and plan on at least one major breakdown per year. save up for those things. I realized that this morning when i looked at the fuel gauge and after i had put over $60 of fuel into it, I only had a little more than a half tank (full is 27 gallons). so i have stopped taking the van out just to drive it, i can't afford it, and when going with the family to places i ride in my mom's car rather than driving my own.

I am in the same boat as you, but I'll tell you to just save your money, you'll need it later, trust me.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, I had the same thought's after I changed my plugs and plug wires on my 6.0. Gives a little more hitch in your giddyup. You shouldn't need a starter, alternator, or anything like that yet, but my starter on my 6.0 is going to hell. 155K miles and she's finally hit the fan.