Cold and wet ... Ugh

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, May 1, 2014.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

The weather here has been gross. Although we've had some nice 80 degree days the nights have been chilly. So the warm season turf has not fully greened up.....even on fertilized turf!

Not to mention. We got about 4-5" of rain over the last 2 days. Who knows what diseases will pop up when the green comes out!

Please bring us some good weather. Im starting to stress out aver getting all my apps in. Might be doing monthly apps on warm season turf instead of every 6-8 weeks.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Know how that feels. No snow or ice, but you better not be applying in that kind of rain. Armada followed by Prostar saved me when it started raining in January and did not stop until March.

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Could you send some rain my way? The lakes are starting to look more like ponds
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Same weather here, been drizzling for days now. Only worked a half day this week so far, and got soaked to the bone.

Sad thing is, come mid summer, we will be begging for rain. Mark my words.

5. Tuttled

Tuttled LawnSite Member

We've had at least 6 inches of snow this week! Possible more this weekend!

6. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

Diseases? You’ll have nothing to worry about. Cool season grasses thrive in this weather and warm season grasses don’t really have any problems in the weather you’re talking about. It will just take some more time (and some heat) to bring the warm season grasses around.

You’re second point is interesting. Maybe this is a question for the group at large:

What is your normal treatment interval and how much are you willing to compress it to get all your rounds in? Should we even compress that interval at all?

I like hearing different answers on this question. Over the years, I’ve heard some guys say that they don’t compress their intervals at all. Some say that the customer was sold on 6 week intervals and they feel the responsibility to deliver on that promise. On that same point, I’ve heard other guys say that treating more frequently isn’t helping the lawn and isn’t helping the environment. “If you wouldn’t treat at 4 wks under ideal conditions, you shouldn’t do it under bad conditions, either” they say. For these guys, if they lose revenue because of fewer treatments, so be it.

Then you have the other side of the coin, where guys will compress intervals. They say that the customer bought X apps and I’m going to deliver on that promise. Some make adjustments to their programs to do this (more or less fert, etc), but others don’t. In their business models, getting all that projected revenue is important because it keeps the lights on and puts food on the table.

Just interested to hear the different thoughts out there.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

You treat lawns according to the conditions presented to you. Not on a calendar schedule. Period.

8. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

x2! We have had MAYBE 2 inches of rain since the year started, and I mean JAN 1, not the mowing season....>LOL....UGGG>..

we need rain SO bad.:hammerhead:

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think we would like to trade weather conditions right!

20140501_081654.jpg

10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Need to sell this.

[​IMG]