Cold and wet ... Ugh

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, May 1, 2014.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good points, Skip. I remember the old Days at Tur Green when sometimes we would get completely caught up because it was so much quicker to apply dry fert in July. Sometimes they would take a salesman off sales and give him a truck and a spreader. Seven applicators instead of six. So they would tell us to go ahead--so what if the customer got their next treatment a few days early? But sometimes if we didn't have any rain days it would get a week early --or more.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We're getting the same weather as you. 5 days of cold rain. Soil temps are only in the mid 40's, and soils are saturated. Here in central Iowa, we've had 6 months of cold/wet weather. It's May already, and the trees aren't even leafed out! This spring = if it ain't raining, we get very high winds.

Thinking about moving to Arizona. :)

3. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Weather conditions dictate my schedule. If we are in a drought I don't apply, if the lawns are saturated and they are squishy, I don't apply. The last two years some of my customers didn't get all their applications due to drought one year and a late start and early end to the season the next. If they prepaid I give them a credit for the next season. I have had one customer complain, that's it.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This. Last year was such a wild weather year that I also thought that I would not get in apps for some customers. Ended up working out, but if it didn't, I wouldn't hesitate to forward the credit to the next year or refund the app.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

You're a good man Mike. Other outfits just want the revenue. Especially mowing outfits that mow when it's not needed during drought conditions. We have had 4 years of unusually dry soils, and most of Iowa still is below normal regarding subsoil moisture. We're also seeing a whole lot of "winter kill" on lawns. Now a bunch of weeds have popped up in the dead spots.

One good thing is our 500 lb T3000's are light weight, so we can apply when the 1000 pounders can't. :)

Wishing you the best. :waving:

FdLLawnMan;5026523]Weather conditions dictate my schedule. If we are in a drought I don't apply, if the lawns are saturated and they are squishy, I don't apply. The last two years some of my customers didn't get all their applications due to drought one year and a late start and early end to the season the next. If they prepaid I give them a credit for the next season. I have had one customer complain, that's it.[/QUOTE]

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

They dictate mine too. I am SOL if it is windy for weeks and months on end. There is no snow or ice so the uneducated are not thinking about the wind. People pay for service at the end of the month. If I had to skip because of the weather no bill and I tell them so. Which is why I fire customers who get demanding when it is windy. I am not holding on to their money and they are not liable for the consequences of a spray drift investigation.

7. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

This cool wet weather is bad on our warm season turf. I don't have a lot of fescue. Bermuda is ok but st aug and centipede are what I'm concerned about. I'm already seeing and treating disease. Hoping we get some warm dry weather fast.

image.jpg

8. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't think you treated much centipedegrass -- I thought your market was mostly bermudagrass and tall fescue. But, it looks like you found some large patch activity.

Good luck!

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm seeing the same type activity in my zoysia lawns. The disease is inactive now because it cooled some from the upper 70's and low 80's we were having for a week or 2 but it's about to hit 80 again and 87 is the forecast high for tomorrow. I'm sure the large patch will fire back up. I've been treating affected areas with Heritage G. Quick, easy, effective.