1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cold call or flyers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by txlawnking, Jun 8, 2004.

1. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey folks, I have a question for you. I am trying to get additional clientel and I'm wondering what's the best way. I've tried the local paper (very pricey,0 results) a "bargain paper" (1 customer bi-weekly) flyers (2 cust.) and cold calling (lot's of "gimme an estimate" which I always give a written one). Should I just go door to door and leave the flyer's or should I cold call them? I am floundering miserably at my sales efforts am I missing something? I'm not expecting a "magic bullet" just some sound advice.
  2. txlawnking

Did I ask the wrong question?
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

go door to door

4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Door to Door is for teenagers with a push mower not legitimate LCO's
  5. txlawnking

Mike, so your saying to just distribute flyers? I admit that trying to talk to potential customers seems like a waste of time, that's why I'm asking. And Trevor do you have a "standard pitch" or what? The constant rejection doesn't bother me so much, I'm just wondering how to get them talking.
  6. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Best results for me have come from yellow page ad. Consider it for next year if you don't currently have it. I agree with Mike's that flyers are unprofessional. I might use targeted direct mail later this summer to advertise fall renovations. It's going to be hard for you to get new customers now. Plan ahead to fall.
  7. dustin ward

dustin ward LawnSite Member

word of mouth,the more people i go out and talk to is gonna depend on how much work i get
  8. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Yes, I would never knock on doors.If you want face time with the client pass out flyers on a Saturday when you might run into customers. Flyers are OK but I dont do that either the man power required is a lot. I would use targeted post cards or flyers tucked in the newspaper.

You prpbably wont pick up a whole lot of customers until July or August when it gets really hot.

Good Luck
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

advertise in a local weekly or monthly paper. I am NOT talking about The Weekly Paper or Penny Pincher or whatever you have near you. Avoid the bargain papers like the plague. Trust me I tried. If you want cheapo priceshopping pita's you got the jack pot with them.

My best advertising to date is a local community paper that a local real estate guy puts out and it gets mailed to every home in the town. 18000 or so homes. My ad is 1/4 page, I made the layout and he adjusted it, back and forth a few times. Looks sharp. I spent the extra couple of dollars for color.

$90 per month and in 2 months I have landed 5 (+$100monthly)quality full service resi mow accounts, 1 home owners association for the common area( $350 per month) 2, 2000+ sq ft sod jobs (+$1500 each), have a very promising bid on a 4 acre commercial property ($585 per month).

The only down side to this paper is you only get 4 or 5 days of calls since it is monthly, but if my second commercial property comes through it will be about $18,000 in revenue from a $180 advertising investment.
  10. txlawnking

Presicion, Now that's the kind of results I NEED!!! What's the deal does the paper go to subscribers only or is it free? I know what you mean about the bargain paper, I ran it for 2 months and only got one mega PITA customer from it. I'd spend $300 for the kind of results you got!!!