Cold calling for commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JTLawnandLandscape, Jan 23, 2008.

1. JTLawnandLandscape

JTLawnandLandscape LawnSite Member

I am getting on the phone this week and calling up commercial businesses around my area? Does anyone have any good ideas for getting your "foot in the door?" It seems so hard to get commercial accounts this way.

2. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

In my area, I started putting my foot in the door 2 weeks ago.

3. JTLawnandLandscape

what exactly has worked the best for you? Right now it's 10 degrees and snowing... Do you think it's a good time?

4. TNT Lawncare

Its 12 degrees and snowing here too. Alot of commercial places around here either already have signed contracts or are taking bids. Just think, March is when we start spring cleanups and mulch jobs. Thats only a month away.

5. JTLawnandLandscape

true that.. I'm just dying to get customers NOW! I haven't done landscaping in a year because of a another biz venture... I feel like i'm behind already!!

6. TNT Lawncare

Thats because you are behind. I made sure all my commercial accounts signed for this year last October. Those are all accounts that no one else will get unless they really try a year in advance.

7. JTLawnandLandscape

it's probably a perfect time to snatch up the resi's... next year i'll be thinking about commercial accts... this year will be focusing on building up customers... I have all this equipment and very few customers... It's so overwhelming that I'm going to be building this biz from scratch again... good part is everything has been paid for.

8. TNT Lawncare

I am just the opposite. I only have 3 residentials. They are nice and all but I would rather go somewhere big and stay for 3 hours at a time and know that I am getting that big check. If I get a $100 at a time, I would blow that for sure, lol.

9. JTLawnandLandscape

Residentials are good in a sense to stay diverse in case you lose a commercial account i suppose. I just have this equipment and want to be able to use it ya know. It's going to be a tough start of the year coming in at the bottom.

10. OhLawnGuy

OhLawnGuy LawnSite Member

With snow on the ground most companys are not looking at lawncare from my experience..The cold calling method does work, it works for you to be able to submit an estimate, then comes the hard part, them excepting it good luck