Cold calling to businesses

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Birddog Lawncare, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Birddog Lawncare

Birddog Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Has this approach ever worked for anybody. I've noticed several businesses around town that hasn't been mowed this year and I've been calling them to see if they need a lawn service. Everyone has been telling me that they already have a lawn service. Do you think it would be better to stop by and ask in person?
  2. Jagor

Jagor LawnSite Member

If you want to build your business make those calls.
    Cold calling isn't much fun because you WILL be turned down a lot. But, even when turned down you will have made contact with someone. It may be the business owner, manager, receptionist or janitor but you meet someone and offer your services. It may not be this week or even this month that one of these contacts will call or refer you but with a little patience you will see results. You don't need to hard sell either. Just make them aware who you are what you do and the fact that you are interested servicing them. Also, make sure you and your vehicle look presentable when making these calls in person. Dressing like you work for a living is fine as long as you look clean and professional. A final note, return every phone call!
  3. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

4. pimowtime

pimowtime LawnSite Member

what about contacting local realty companies? call and ask if they need lawn maint. either for their rental properties or their vacant lots!!???? hey, it could work!!:)
  5. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

dang. you stole my idea!!!
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Birddog,

I agree with Jagor.