Cold calling works PERIOD!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mrusk, Apr 21, 2005.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

This is my first year full time. I did not spend much money on advertising yet, because every hick in town with a pickup truck is advertising like a madman. So last saturday i started doing cold calls on brand new houses to get landscape and hardcape jobs. At the 1st house i picked up a 1300 dollor seeding job. That same house needs about 15k worth of pavers and plantings which i will get as long as i do a good job seeding. I also picked up 2 mulch jobs at other houses, and i am waiting to here back on a few walkway estimates. Every saturday that is nice and sunny i plan on doing cold calls to new houses all season long.
    I am 19. However, people seem to be impressed by me. I wear nice embroidered polo shirts, and have a nicely lettered truck. Everyone tells me that they called 3-4 other contractors in town, but no one calls them back. Thats the way contractors are in my town. I never though i would cold call but it works. Whats a better way to advertise then just hit the houses that need work. I have alot of landscape/hardscape/new lawn seeding jobs lined up, i just am not cutting that many lawns weekly yet. I figure as i get more established and build a reputation in town the lawns will come.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the best ways to get jobs is to just stop and talk to someone. This straegy usually is what lands commercial accounts. Congrats on the new work.
  3. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful with new construction. The trucks and equipment that the builders use can really compact the soil. Often times, they will throw a little topsoil and some sod on there and it will die in a few months or maybe a year. You don't want to be the one holding that bag if you can avoid it. If you are doing a bunch of new homes from the same builder and they all have problems people are going to point your way.

There are some good books out there on soil management. Handbook of Successful Ecological Lawn Care by Paul Sachs is very helpful, but it can be hard to find.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Might make sure that the people that you call are not on the "no call" list. Could be deep do-do for you if you don't!
  5. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Keep cold calling EVERY week. It works!
  6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Walker talker- I'm knocking on front doors, i am not using the phone.

7. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Cold calling does work I'll agree with that. I cold called a management company about doing the lawn maintenance. Got an interview with the owner, caught him at just the right time cause hes been thinking about switching vendors the one he uses now hes been with for 21 years and actually started the company with the owner as a partnership. Got 3 properties, if I prove myself this year all 56 are mine next year. Paid his vendor 200K last year but that included snow removal, and the chemical apps I would have to sub out. payup