Cold Calling

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by andersonmowing23, Mar 19, 2005.

1. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

Who here has done it? How do you think it worked for you? I mean where you go up to the door knock and try to sell your service. I never have tried it, but today sombody tried it on me today. Thought it was a really good idea. It is a way to get your foot in the door at least and just give them an estimate at least to hold on to, could say its good for 90 days or somthing along those lines. Thought this would increase the success rate.

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Hey "A", I've over the past couple of years tried cold calling (phone only to businesses) never went door to door, can't handle the rejection LOL. I read in a business magazine that 2 out of 5 or 7 people say yes. I really don't belive that though but they are the experts. You would have to be a really skilled people person with thick skin though. But the best part of that is its free!!!! :blob3:

3. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Said yes to what? An estimate? Or yes to the service?

I have decided to do this as well. If 2 out of 7 people say yes by going door to door I'm gonna be grumpy that I had not started doing this sooner.

David

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I got all all my commercial accts by cold calling. I have never tried it with res customers. I dont advertise at all. And we have all the work that we can handle. In fact I havent been out looking for work for 3 years, it comes to me.

5. jason1978

jason1978 LawnSite Member

I am coming from the Mortgage business and cold calling was something I had to do. I'd say that if you are a good sales person and can handle people getting upset at you, although not that many people are rude, then cold calling can be very very successful. I'd say it's probably real good if you are non intrusive and jsut calling to let someone know you will be in their area sometime and if they would like an estimate to just let you know by calling.

6. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Since I target you guys (landscapers and Maint. Co.) I do a version of cold calling. I start by sending a company that I would like to start working with, a letter explaining our services and benefits. I then will call the company to see if they recived the letter and if they are intrested. After this i will send a small booklet with more details on the services we offer. After that I can start sending my normal mailings IE fall specials, spring advertisments, ect... It has worked great for me in the past, you just need to select the co you are trying to target and send them a barage of info along with personal interaction (visit office or give them a call)