cold calls from management companies

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by americanlawn, Mar 30, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'm sick of them. We get these salesmen calling all the time. We tried one of these outfits 'one time' several years ago, and they sucked. They totally and always are a complete waste of time. Our office tries to screen these calls, but sometimes they will say they have commercial properties they want us to look at (needing quotes). Also, they normally tell us they recently opened up a local branch right here in town. These outfits are a scam, and they are difficult to get rid of. Last time, their rep sat in our office for 3 hours waiting for me to return from my route.

Who else gets these guys climbing up their walls????:hammerhead:

2. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I don't think I understand the complaint. A property management company is calling a landscaping company for work, where's the problem? Did they screw you over once or something?

3. americanlawn

from midwest

Here's the deal. They are NOT property management companies whatsoever. They are out of state telemarketing/management companies that keep calling. They all say they can improve our profits. 1st thing they always ask is what is our annual revenue. These are scumbag outfits attempting to feed on profitable businesses.

4. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ah, gotcha. That's different. I actually haven't had any of those companies call yet.

5. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I know what you're talking about. Except on my end they are advertising or marketing companies.

They pose as someone with a bunch of accounts to get your attention. They especially do it when they don't get an answer on your business phone and leave a voicemail.

"I'm so and so and I am looking for a reputable lawn service company that can take on about 30-40 new accounts within the next few months or so. Give me a call back"

You call em up and they are some form of marketing company saying they can deliver that many accounts to you if you use their services.

The following companies have done this to me:

Doneright.com
    superpages.com
    local.com

6. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Sounds like the Yellow Pages. Not too far from the methods of the BBB.

7. americanlawn

from midwest

IPA (Buffalo Grove, IL) is the one we tried. They are one of several that call us every year. Last time I agreed to let them fax info and we'd look it over.....but a few days later, there was a saleman at our door. He got tired of waiting for me to return after waiting in our office for three hours. So don't even let outfits like this fax or send info to you -- just hang up. I'm not saying these companies are bad, just that we don't want 'em or need 'em.