Cold-Hearted Scag ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tagg, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

Just have a question. It seems that in the past couple of days that the temps have fallen into the 50's in the northeast that the Turf Tiger is a little harder to get the mowers going. I have even thrown a deck belt, maybe because I had the deck raised and started at a midrange rpm. It just seems to have more strain on the system than when the temps where 70-80 degrees. Anybody noticing this and/or is it common to all makes and models. This unit is a 2003-04 w/ 27hp Kawi and 61" deck. Thanks.:confused:

2. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

bump bump

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an 2006 Turf Tiger 52 with a 27 Kohler. I just have to make sure to choke it when it is cold and sometimes it takes a minute to warm up. It is usually only the first time it is cranked early in the morning.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It takes a while for the units hydralic pumps and motors to warm but that shouldn't affect belts. Scag told me to start at half throttle and alway start the unit at the height that you shut the PTO off. My 48" looks like it is less aligned at top setting so I start if at mowing height on pavement. I have the one belt system and it is easy to damage belts.

5. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

Ok this is what I found to be the problem... Changed the deck belt and it now appears to be running as good as New. It appears that the belt was stretched out and the gearbox pulley was not able to provide the proper torque to the mower spindles. I also checked all the spindles and idlers they appear in great condition.