Cold Kohler's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I the only one that has a hard time getting Kohler engines to pull start (single cylinder) in the winter time?? Any tricks of the trade im missing besides ether?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure your running only 10w30 oil and are getting full choke with the cable.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

above post says it all. they seem to be very cold natured.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I've done this many times when machines won't start and it is cold out:
    Remove the spark plug and spray the electrode with a little bit of carb cleaner or starting fluid. Spray it for only 1-3 secs. Light the mixture on the spark plug. You heard right, light it on fire...It Won't (or Shouldn't) explode! Wait for the flame to burn it self out. (Depending on how long the machine has not run and how cold it is will determine if you should do this twice. I usually do it TWICE anyway!) Spray a bit of starting fluid directly into the cyclinder and put the plug back into the engine as quickly as you can! Put the engine on choke and pull it or turn the key and it should start very easily.
    The process is similar to how a diesel engine preheats the glow plugs.
    BEST OF LUCK!!! (YES I AM 10000% SERIOUS ABOUT THIS)

5. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

why not just spray starting fluid into the air intake?

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have always had back luck starting Kohlers when it's cold, especially during the spring after the winter. Usually I just poured a little gas in the air intake and it would fire up fine.

7. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

What is it internally that makes these engines hard to start in cold weather? This is the only engine in our fleet that gives us troubles is the few kohlers we have.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

The funny thing, they are the best engine to start and smoothest running during the summer months though. Kawasaki are along the same of starting very cold, but not as bad as Kohler.

I would have to say that the best cold starting engine is Briggs.

9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I AGREE WITH THE CAN OF STARTER SPRAY couldn't be easier

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my 12.5 briggs i/c loves the cold .starts usually on first pull even when 32 out