1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cold Starting Diesels Made Easy

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by AmsoilPower, Jan 22, 2008.

1. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Ever wish your truck would start easier in the bitter cold? All you have to do is change the oil. Synthetic oils have a much lower pour point than conventional oils, therefore allowing the engine to turn over easier. This is just one of the benefits of using Amsoil. Easier starting, engines that run cooler, oil that does not break down and in most cases improved fuel economy.

Why would anyone use Mobil 1 and support big oil companies that are driving YOUR fuel expenses thru the roof??????????:confused:

For those of you who are new to Lawnsite, I highly recommend reading what people are saying about Amsoil products. I have been very surprised by how many of you have signed up with me in the last month with a commercial account. People are beginning to see the benefits of Amsoil products and are putting them in trucks, mowers, toys (atvs, bikes) etc. Those of you who are in need of more info, please email or PM anytime. I WILL reply quickly. I am here to help you all save money and make money, just not in your traditional way........cheaper insurance, cheaper fertilizers, tell you how to bill your accounts, etc.

After all, Amsoil was the FIRST to develop a synthetic oil, not any of the big oil companies!!!!!
  2. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

So changing the oil will warm the coolant and the oil, replace block heaters, glow plugs, intake manifold heater grids? Synthetic oil is good and all that, but I do not think its the second coming of Christ like some think. That being said Ive used amsoil in my sea doo, it was great, I may use yalls two cycle mix next year. Yall have a great product but this statement is like saying the flowmaster sticker on your camaro makes it run 12's.
  3. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Short of keeping the coolant warm, yes it can replace block heaters and heater grids. I don't know of anyone around here who uses Amsoil and "plugs in the truck at night".
  4. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

Nothings a cheap as Good old starting fluid

just don't shoot it when the glow plugs are on and your not cranking.

lol i kid I havn't done that to my junk plow truck in days

So does this stuff come with a big old super triple your money back super satsfaction garuntee

i kid again

i heard about the oil sounds good... pm me and sell me some..
  5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

For general information. The Cummins Dodges use a grid heater rather than glow plugs, and shooting ether into the intake on one of those results in rather spectacular results when it explodes before it gets anywhere near the cylinder.

I'm not an Amsoil Kool-Aid drinker, but synthetic oil really does flow better at low temps than dino oil. Just for reference, (I'm aware it's not quite apples to oranges, but it's at least limes to oranges) my truck with 15/40 Dino in it, not plugged in, and + 5F, WILL NOT start. Won't do it. Not happening. 5/40 Syn (I know, it's a little thinner, but try and find 5/40 dino) and the truck starts at -20F. Same batteries, same truck, only difference is one week later between the dino and the syn. Just my personal (not Amsoil) experience. IMHO, synthetic oil is great to use in diesel engines in the northern part of the country.

PS: I haven't run a long term mileage test (consistent source of fuel, Nazi about tire pressure and load, etc etc) but it seems like my truck gets about 1 mpg better with syn than with dino.

My ride:

04.5 Dodge Ram 2500
    5.9 Cummins (the one with the cat)
    NV5600 6 spd. manual tranny
    3.73 gear ratio
    265/70/17LT tires (Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo right now)
  6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Someone explain to me how oil is going to give back the CCA's your battery loses when the weather turns cold?

I run Amsoil in the some of my manual trannies and it's ok but no glow plugs or heater grids...come on that's a little deep.
  7. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Here's a thought just plug the damn thing in if it is going to be cold cheap and easy on the motor I have never had to put any additives in other than antigel for the fuel on extremely cold nights
  8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Not so quick, oil is a big help but don’t forget that diesel turns to jelly when the temperatures drop a lot:drinkup:
  9. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Yah you are right good point I totally agree but I think if you keep up on the oil changes and maintence you should not have a problem at least that is what I have found any way running diesels
  10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you...that needed to be said.