cold treating blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Aug 16, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i had a couple of set treated and have been using them about a wk. i could make no real evaluation as i was waiting on this thursday and friday to do my test. the test involved using an untreated blade in the middle an treated on each side.
    about 1230 i had a tire pressure problem . so decided to put
    the mower on the ramps and see if i could see a difference.
    results were very surprizing . the untreated needed to be replaced then and was markedly duller than the treated ones.
    all blades were exmark issue high lifts. i am very surprized as i really was wondering if it would make any real difference.
    i dont know how to spell the process but jerry spruell
    of COLD FIRE mooresville nc did mine.they have a webb site.
    i will be recommending to jerry that he become a lawnsite sponcer as i think this can really help us. later now TM

2. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard of hardening steel by heating it, then cooling it with oil. I don't know if this is true or not.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i can only report the result of my test . one test is not allconclusive but id have to say right now im convinced
    that the process works. a little surprized at how well also.
    later now TM

4. msd_woody

msd_woody LawnSite Member

You're probably referring to cryrogenic (sp?) freezing. I've heard of this process used on gun barrels to make them more accurate. It's a process of freezing steel at extreme cold temperatures. It's supposed to make the metal more dense and less porus. In the case of mower blades, it would make sense. A dense piece of steel is less likely to chip or nick than a porus one.

Matt

5. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Do you only have to do this process once per blade or will you have to do it each time it is resharpened?

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

that was one of my questions. once its treated it stays that way

7. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

From what I understand it changes the molecular structure of the metal. It causes the molecules to align themselves in nice tight little rows causing the material to become more dense. This also removes areas fo stress in the metal.

Once they have been aligned, resharpening should not change them unless you can get the blade back into a molten state.

David

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for telling us your experience and keep us informed as to the progress. I have heard of heat treating, but not cold treating. Maybe I will just have to by a bigger freezer now!

9. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

What is the cost of this process and does it make it harder to sharpen?

10. lars

lars LawnSite Member

When the molecules are rearranged the pack into a denser shape. This dense shape is smoother on the microscopic level and provides less friction, and thus there is less wear. In some applications life is extended by 8 times. Freezing is popular in agriculture, manufacturing, and automobiles. I've even heard of people freezing the teeth on backhoe and loader buckets.