cold weather aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cebe800, Apr 4, 2007.

1. cebe800

cebe800 LawnSite Member

How cold can it be to aerate a lawn. Will cold weather do damage to the lawn after aerating is done.
  2. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha i'm sure your talking about this "suprising" Illinois weather we are experiencing! I'm down in Central IL, right by Peoria. I couldnt tell ya about aerating, i'm new to it! lol. Good Luck. -Mitch-
  3. cebe800

cebe800 LawnSite Member

Yes I am. Ihave jobs tonight and tomorrow morning . I am a little hesitant right now to aerate.
  4. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Using my little knowledge of aerating, i would not do them until early next week when it's back in the 60's. I would call up the customers, explain to them by waiting, you are not in a risky stage of damaging their property. I would rather wait and do advantages to a property then to get them done and cause damage/disadvantages to them. Just my opinion though! You do what you please. -Mitch-
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Wait until the chance of cold weather is over. It will give the root system more protection to keep warm and make the grass grow quicker this spring.
  6. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

You can aerate when it is cold right up to freezing. if it is a long cold spell below freezing you could get some damage around the edges of the holes. short term cold do not worry about it put on your gloves your coat and go to it. Aeration of cool season grasses only gets really dangerous it it gets too hot.