Cold Weather and Hydrostats

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CMLLawnServices, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Has any one here had to run their mowers in 30-40 degree weather, up here weve had a real cold fall and there is leaf clean ups still to do . I`ve had to warn up the hydrostats lately to get them to not pull or other things , I was wondering if any other people are still running their ZTRs in this weather?, we`ve got snow here so i`m done for shure this year , next thing is to bring the snowblowing tractor in to town , and shop for a new mower for next year.
  2. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

well im sure i'll take some heat on this comment but to keep your hydro warm don't clean them let all the dust and crap stay on them in the fall. being that you and I run at the same type of temp and weather in the fall (10F and up)
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thats why we run Mobil 1 15-50 in them. The synthetic is great for the cold. If you don't believe me do this test;
    Buy a quart of petro based oil and a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic. Use similar grade.
    Put them both outside in the cold for an hour.
    Get your watch ready and pour them out at the same time.

Synthetic will slide right out and the petro oil will be slower. The same thing happens in the hydros.
    I am sold on it.
  4. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

Hydros are just like any other motor, best if properly warmed before put under max load.

5. BladeRunner Rep

BladeRunner Rep Banned

Most all manufactures use a multi-weight oil of some kind. Some including bladerunner use synthetic oil. However it is a very good idea to let your machine warm up before you start working the unit. Hydro oil when it is cold wether it is synthetic or not does not flow very well. Now with this in mind the seals and gaskets on pumps etc. are stressed because of slow moving fluid, this becomes more of a problem when you start to work the machine and can cause cavitation of the pumps or even blown seals. I would suggest that you let the motor and hydro warm up for 5-10min before you start working the machine. This will also allow your machine to be more effecient in cold weather. If you have a diesel machine you probably I hope allowing the engine to warm up anyhow! Keep in mind when the engine is running the hydro is running!