Cold weather excavation photos

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ksss, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Here is some photos of* a current project.** The hole is 5000 square feet, 10-10 walls.* No place to put material.* Frost is 2.5' in places.* All material moved with 465.* Granted I would have used a wheel loader but not enough room to navigate.* All utilies are subbed into the hole dimensions meaning, that everything has to be exposed and cut back. The actually building dim. are 5' less than the lot size if that better explains it. If anyone would dare put their MTL in that rock and move 1500 yards of material bring it on.

2.19.08 003.jpg

2.19.08 001.jpg

2.19.08 005.jpg

2.19.08 004.jpg
  2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Nice job so far. That 465 can move some dirt:cool2::cool2:
  3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Nice hole, so I take it the hoe was used to dig and the skid used to move it further?
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

nice work, your kodiak is the tits!!!
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Ya we used the skid to move the material from the hole. The big pile of material is the site of another building as soon as we can get it moved. There was just no place to put material. The Apache plus 5 on the hoe was nice for checking grade, magnetic mounts to the arm. Got it pretty close. The 465 operator was working his azz off to keep up.
  6. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Was their room for a ramp out of the hole? If so a Cat 953C could have dug it, carried it, and stock piled it all with only one operator, half the fuel, and faster also.
  7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

What was the process you used to bid that? By the yard? Sq.ft. price?
  8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The ramp in the photo was to walk down and not put a machine down. You don't see those out here and I would rather run an excavator, not to mention the costs of those machines is unreal. The undercarriage would have been working in straight pitrun. I know out East you guys use those tracked loaders a lot. Whatever the reason you don't see them here. It also would not have worked well in exposing all the utilities which are in this hole.
  9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

BigBen....for $128,000 you can buy one used 953C and have one piece of iron. for the same money or less you can have a skid, hoe, trailer and truck with a bit more versatility. i would guess that you could even say a 300 sized hoe would have been faster with a loader, but the name of the game in your geographic area is versatility, flexibility and figuring out a performance to cost formula that works.
  10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

You rarely see those here as well. Anyhow, he's got a excavator and skids, so why use anything else? Use what you've got and keep putting money in your pocket. No need to buy or rent one piece because it might work a little better on one job, right.