1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cold weather weeds in bermuda

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by re151731, Jan 24, 2007.

1. re151731

re151731 LawnSite Member

For a variety of cold weather weeds in bermuda what is a good weed killer this time of year?We have been having
    alot of rain if that should matter.Thx in advance.
  2. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

Try lesco's 3-way ester. It seems to work pretty good in cold weather and should take care of most of the broadleaf weeds. You could also try any other products with 2 4-D and an ester base.
  3. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Roundup, sprayed a little two weeks ago. I found a few patches of dallisgrass that were not dormant. They are dead now.
  4. re151731

re151731 LawnSite Member

Is it safe using roundup on weeds this time of year?Will it damage the bermuda, even though it is dormant?
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would use Lesco SpeedZone before I went with roundup.....we had one bad experience with roundup in bermuda. I wonder if ground temp is a factor when using roundup on bermuda?
  6. ricecake

ricecake LawnSite Member

Roundup is the cheapest and best way to go providing that the Bermuda is completely dormant. Check the crown, which is at the base of the plant to see if anything is green, if not then it is safe to spray. We usually try to spray on a 50-60 degree day, sunny and no wind. You should get good results.
  7. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

It has been 35 for a high and 20 for a low in Memphis all week. Maybe next week it will be 50 to 60 and spray the round up.
  8. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

If you use Roundup, mix it light and spray it light. In Memphis your Bermuda is probably already at the stage where it can be damaged by Roundup or any other non-specific herbicide.

I would recommend a broadleaf weed killer. Follow the label directions regarding planning your application around the weather.
  9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Nothing will hurt Bermuda if it is dormant but that window is closed in TX IMHO. If you dig down below the top brown stuff you will see green.
  10. DeSotoLawns.com

DeSotoLawns.com LawnSite Member

Bermuda is still dormant in Memphis, temps are rising this week, but due to the recent extended cold weather the grass is still dormant. If you are going to use round up, it needs to be NOW! another week or so and the window will be closed. If you do go that route, just treat the effected areas and limit the exposer to the other areas.