Coleman Fuel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Jul 4, 2005.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a gallon of Coleman fuel sitting around, would it hurt anything to run it in a mower or truck just to get rid of it?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

No try it.Locals here don't keep it long they make hill billy cocaine with it.
  3. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Here is some information on a FAQ Coleman Fuel Site. Sounds like it would be best to find someone who could use it for the intended purpose.

Coleman fuel is basically petroleum naphtha with a bit of rust inhibitor. It has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and none of the additives found in gasoline. It has a lighter molecular weight than gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel and cannot be used as a substitute for any of those fuels. The flammability of Coleman Fuel is comparable to gasoline but it cannot be used in gasoline engines. It will burn out the valves.
  4. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the response!
  5. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

with an octane rating of 55, it would ping the heck out of your truck...
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

hummm, that is interesting... I would have guessed that it was just kerosene with coleman's name on it. Learn something everyday!
  7. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Statman.....Don't do it. Coleman fuel is made specifically for use in the camps stove and lights. It is extremely volatile and will explode. Octane ratings have nothing to do with it. If you can't use it for the purpose it was made for, take it to your fire department for disposal. I spilled some as I filled a camp stove tank. The vapors got inside of my clothes and when I lit the camp fire,thankfully not the stove, the vapors ignited. It was just a flash, but I lost my eye brows and the hair on my hands and arms. Made for a great story around the campfire but it scared the living cr@p out of me. Taught me to respect so called 'white gas', alot!

8. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

white gas has the same volatility as gasoline from the pump. the flash could have happened with gasoline.

coleman fuel burns super clean, but no octane, you could run premium in your car, dump it on top of a full tank, and probably be ok. mowers are air cooled, and a little pinging will destroy them in short order.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Just keep the container handy for some degreasing applications or parts cleaning.
  10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Yea.. what he said.