1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Collecting from a HOA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Dec 16, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got a HOA that owes me a lot of money. If push comes to shove, could I put a lein on their open areas?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there are so many different ways to collect money anymore. Like I had one last summer where my lawyer actually was able to take money from her paycheck.
  3. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing like some "lawnamony"
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Home owners associations are terrible. The owners dont pay their dues, and they dont pay you. Chances are, you will get your money if you are willing to beg and wait.
  5. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Be sure to attend there meetings and be recognized as the guy that they owe money to. You can also determine what kind of organization your dealing with by the way they handle the meeting and the turn out of homeowners.
  6. double e

double e LawnSite Member

This is nice I'm waiting for a check from HOA for landscaping job for a little over 14k- Now I won't be able to sleep
  7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't sweat it ... we have four HOA's we work for and so far they are great customers.
    As far as collecting, I would assume that you know who the president and the treasurer are, as well as maybe the eprson responsibble for the grounds? Talk to all of them.
  8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Bob-I would attend the next meeting if possible and see what is going on firsthand. Most of the time HOAs hire from just the recommendation of the pres/vp, or treasurer.All of the other residents are usually in the dark about who performs their services.Put a face with the name, and let the others at the meeting know about the late payment.You'll probably get a check the next day. The problem we had with our HOAs this year is they all blew their winter budgets last Dec-Mar. 03 with some big storms, and then didn't want to increase HOA fees to cover summer,resulting in wanting to skimp on services and compromise quality.I dropped two of the four we work for.I don't work that way, and a friend who lives in one community told me after we split in Jan. 03, they got some scrubs who took the same contract we had outlined the three years before, for HALF of what I was charging. Usually these people expect champagne & filet mignon service on a Boone's Farm Wine budget. If push does come to shove, you can place a lein against every home in the development until the balance is paid from collective funds from HOA dues from each member. Sorry for the long post....;)
  9. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a HOA also. Very slow to pay at times but I've learned to work with them and just charge my fees. They always pay them and after calling I finally found out the reason for my situation. First, there is only one officer that can write a check for this HOA. That's a problem. Second, he gets home everyday from work after the Post office closes. So he never gets his mail. So, now I just mail to his house and that resolved the problem so far.

Also, I'm working with to people in the HOA, so if one screws off, I can call the other and hopefully put him in check.
  10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Collecting from a HOA is the same as collecting from a person - it all revovles around contracts.
    Send a demand letter with payment due date included. List in the letter what they owe, why, the contract for the work, your invoice number(or however you track your invoices). In addition, you need to add in the demand letter additional fees(ie late payment fee plus applicable interest, attorney's fees, etc).
    Send the letter certified, return receipt requested, plus normal mail. If they don't pay then file a lien on the HOA assests. You will get paid.