Collecting money from jobs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hardatworknc, Apr 21, 2008.

1. We have maybe 10 yards we cut per week and were wondering what the best way to collect money is. Obviously if the person is home we get the money then, but most of our clients are working during the day. So with that said, do you guys just leave and invoice and wait for the money, collect at a later date when you can get up with them? Save it for the end of the month and collect a one payment? Also, how many people out there accept credit/debit cards? Is it worth having to just keep the clients numbers on file and run the card with every cut? Just wondering what people out there do.
  2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Leave in invoice at the end of the month, they then have 15 days to pay. Whats the name of your company, I might have seen you around?
  3. Hard at Work, Inc. We are in the process of getting signage for the truck. White GMC Yukon with a 14 ft. trailer.
  4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I leave an invoice and they mail the check. I haven't had any problems with that method......yet
  5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

you can leave a invoice and wait for the check,come back later in the day to collect,or once you get your customers trust,come up with a spot for them to leave it on the days you come.
  6. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you're not there to collect the money, then unless you really trust your employees i would say send them an invoice either bi-weekly or monthly and have them mail it to you. maybe even have a nice little invoice package you send them which included a pre-addressed and post marked envelope so all they have to do is write the check and throw it in the mailbox.

I actually like whoever suggested the credit card idea. I know that those companies charge you the merchant a percentage of the sale, but it would be nice to have the number just in case they try to stiff you on your services.
  7. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

A few customers pay me in advance. Most either pay when I am there or they leave payment in a secure location around the porch area. I will carry someone for one cut only and that is it. Last year a neighbor of one of my customers asked me to cut his yard( he travels extensively), he paid me a few weeks in advance. After a few weeks I never seen him, so I stopped cutting and his grass kept getting higher. I ended up seeing him and he was ticked off I didnot cut his lawn without payment, I told him to find someone else to cut his grass. Last week I am in his development (where I have 7 accounts), and he approaches me about cutting this year. I reminded him about last season, he then scratches me a check for 2 months in advance.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I might have landed a string of "death row" cuts for a realty company. You just don't know if or when it will end so your kinda strung out on a bunch that you could lose the next week or the next month. They have a bunch of homes vacant that need cut and he would want them cut every week into June then go to a bi-weekly, IF they don't sell before then. The lawns are starting to over grow right now and need cut. He said to have a look at them and call him at the office tomorrow with a price. I also might have a few leads on some homes in the same area. I want to do a great job for him as he might have me maintaining other lawns to replace ones that sell. He knows alot of local folks and if I can offer him a clean neat cut each time, I might land some good accounts. I know I'm living in a pipe dream right now and chances are, I probably won't get them for some reason. My problem is the cheap Yardman mower I have is kinda well, cheap looking. It cuts ok but it doesn't cut the grass up enough before it discharges so I'd have to cut twice at most every place I mow. Some more then others. That mower is a eye sore to the customers that see it. LOL If things do start to go my way, I might get a Cub Cadet Enforcer with the 54" deck. They offer a power assist bagger for it (a must have for me) where others don't offer power assist. The last thing I want to do is spend time un-clogging the chute every other load of clippings. Plus the Enforcer is lower to the ground, I figure it would be better suited for hills. It has wider tires and comes with striping rollers.
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Should I get paid per cut in my case? Being I could lose each home due to it selling.
  10. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend mowed for a real estate company last year and it took way too long to get paid. I am running a small lawn mowing service, not a finance company. I would never take business like that, but if I did, they would be charged interest on money owed. Hope that Yardman holds up for you, atleast you don't have a payment on it.