Collecting money

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TREEGUARD, Feb 1, 2008.

1. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

I seem to be having trouble getting tne money still owed from last season. Everyone seems to have some kind of excuse sounds like alot of Bull to me. Anyone else haveing the same problem?

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have two clients that have yet to pay. One I know is having money issues because his phone has been disconnected and his house is a step away from foreclosure. The other one hit me out of left field but I justkeep on him every day with phone calls and e-mails and going by his house. He will cough up the money soon enough. Other than those two this year, I haven't ever had a problem. I am implementing procedures this season to make sure I don't get taken for any rides this season.

3. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

if you don't get paid by spring back the dump truck onto the lawn full of leaves......

raise the bed an go ring the bell

don't get paid..... drop the gate and call it dumping fee

i once trucked snow that i was removing from one job and piled it in the entry of one of my commercials

i was 4 months past due and not getting answers
    i was paid that day and withen 3 days of faxing inventorys from that day forward

hate to do it but sometimes people don't take you seriously untill you do something nutsy

beats grabbing people by the collar

Nate

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I still have one commercial account that is running 90 days past due and every time I call them they say its in the mail. I have told them the next step is to turn them over for collection.

5. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any regular customers that owe be but I helped out another contractor called Metro Exteriors here in Rochester N.Y. for the season. Gave the jerk a break on his price and everything.

Now, Metro Exteriors her in Rochester N. Y. refuses to pay the last 8 weeks of the money he owes me.

I was taking care of their office lawn. They decide to let go of their mowing bus.

So if you see the guy from Metro Exteriors in Rochester N.Y. please tell him to pay up!!!

Just awesome when someone in the biz screws you!!

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I just had a customer that owes me $600. I filed a small claims suit and shortly after they bankrupted everyone including me. I am not happy.

7. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I just sent my third cust. to collections yesterday as a matter of fact!
    If its a regular customer of mine, especially these last two months I will usually let them slide a bit (maybe a month or two) but still let them know they owe me money. I will send up to (2) monthly statements showing the invoice number, due date, and amount owed/credited. But if after 2 months, I'll send them a certified letter in the mail threatening collections if they don't settle up in the next seven days. I will usually give them 8-10 anyways because of weekends and such, but on the morning of the 10th day... its off to collections they go.
    If its a customer that was only for a few clean ups or a one time service of some sort, they have a due date on the invoice (usually 15 days from completion) do pay up, after that, its a couple phone calls, same warning of collections letter as above, but within 30 days of completion if no agreement has been met or payment plan set up!
    I'm tired of messing around with people and having to pull money out of my personal accounts to cover payroll and materials because of non-paying customers.

8. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I am just a part-timer, and I have to give all you full -timers props on trying to collect money from what could be 100's of accounts. Just on my parttime route it is like pulling teeth just to get paid 30 bucks. It is easier doing the lawns than getting the money in some cases. This year I went with an envelope system for some customers, I told them to leave a check in said location, if it was there I cut if not I kept going. Worked fairly well, but did anger some customers, but after there were skipped once and there grass was not cut, it helped them remember next time. For full-timers this would not work, but for me this system works OK.

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Do you have written, signed contracts?

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Had you already received a judgement? If so, then they cannot include it in the bankruptcy.