collecting rain water in drums for irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, May 16, 2008.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

Has anyone heard of people collecting rainfall from gutters in barrels to use for irrigation?

Dan

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

it's been mentioned here many times. My city does not allow it, but not sure how they would police it.

3. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be able to water foundation plantings and flower beds, but if you do the math, it doesn't take long to realize that it is not feasible to plan on watering turf with harvested rainwater. The required storage capacity is so vast as to make the idea impractical.

In my area, it is not only recommended, it is subsidized. A Greene county organization was giving 50 dollar instant rebates to any county resident buying a ready made rain barrel. They sold out of a trailer truck load of them in about half an hour. I built one and was amazed at how quickly it filled up. It will catch 55 gallons off a half inch of rain. I think that one drains more surface area off my roof than any other downspout, but still it was quite surprising. I have 6 more downspouts on the house...plan to have a barrel on each by the end of summer. $10 for a surplus barrel, $20 for Krylon Fusion paint, $10 in fittings, and a couple hours of work. After I get the other downspouts outfitted, I think I'll make the first one a two tanker.

4. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

I'll have to call down the City and ask about it. We're having a drought here in Central FL right now.

Dan

5. May be a problem. You need rain to fill up the barrel.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Sure am glad to see Im not the only smartazz that was thinking that too.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It's the classic Catch 22

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Or no catch 22 in this case , as there is no water to catch.

9. nylan8888

nylan8888 LawnSite Member

Well, there goes more coffee spit across the keyboard. I've got to stop reading while I'm drinking.

10. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

You could start by having Planning & Zoning commissions that actually examine the impact of the rampant development in FL. That swampy beach wasn't made to hold as many people as are trying to live there --- by a long shot.