Collecting unemployment.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by A1Lawns, Nov 16, 2007.

1. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

I have not done this (yet) but I hear it is what some of us landscapers do during the winter months to help get by.
    Is this true and any thoughts on this?
    Thanks for any input.

A-1

Havent been here for awhile and its great to be back. Hope all is well for everyone. :usflag:

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well I guess the first question here is, how much have you been paying yourself?

3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

If I understand your question correctly you are a self employed landscaper and have heard you might be able to collect Unemployment compensation.

I don't know about your state but mine and probably all others don't have this for the self employed . And a person is not supposed to drawn this compensation if he/she is laid off a company job and work on the side doing Self Employment type work .

Nosmo

4. andrewcarrigan

andrewcarrigan LawnSite Member
    from alberta

you should also consider welfare:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummmm Ummmmm Savings?? Annual Agreements? I guess I don't know how anyone could do this fulltime if they couldnt survive the winter?? Two words... BINESS PLAN!

6. Are you paying into unemployment?

If you are then I think you can file a claim.

7. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

You do realize that when you pay out on claims, the rate you pay on each employee goes up, too?

I don't think this would apply to you as because the owner usually doesn't pay unemployment tax on him/herself.

8. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

You cant collect on yourself. If you are the owner you can not collect, doesnt matter what state you live in.

9. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

You Are Responsible For You!! It's Not The Damn Governments Responsibilty To Keep You Up Just Because You Don"t Want To Go Get Something Else To Do During The Winter!!!!!

10. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Man.... cut the dude some slack, he was just asking a question.

I was under the assumption that you could do that as well. I know someone who does it, but now i think about it, his wife owns the corp.

One was around it...