collecting unemployment

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Christianstine, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Christianstine

Christianstine LawnSite Member

Ok,here is the deal folks I really need some advice .I just lost my prize employee that has been with me for 4 years.I was thinking about taking less jobs this year and doing them myself.I wish there was a way that I could pay myself a certain wage and collect unemployment in the winter.Where I live we don't have enough snow to shake a stick at.I'm sick of having to look for employment every winter for about 4 months.Can anyone of you buisnessmen give me some advice?
    Brian from Mi.

2. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

you can.. whats stopping you? you will pay a little more the following year but who cares. if someone tells you that it's not possible, they are crazy.. i have and know 3 BIG contractors that are doing it now.

3. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly guys i dont think its legal....ill check with my accounant tomorrow but it just seems to good to be true....but if it is i would deffinatly talk to your accountant about how much your unpemployment rate will go up the next year and the next and so on. it might get really out of control after doing it for a couple of years.

4. mike48114

mike48114 LawnSite Member

I also live in Michigan and as a matter a fact I am collecting un employment right now. You can collect unemployment as long as you (tell the truth) and claim any money(s) you make. Lets say your un employment check for 2 weeks is $600.00. If you make $500.00 in those 2 weeks they will take $250.00 out and you still get a check for $650.00. Works for me. I am not a lawyer or a CPA so I advise talking to one of them first, but it is legal and you can do it. Your CPA will tell you how to pay yourself and still be able to get unemployment.

--mike!

5. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

If yo incorporate you become an employee of the company then you can collect legally.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Each stae is different. Check with your CPA. I collect from my daytime job when I'm laid off. The way I can collect is my business is in my wifes name and I don't write myself a paycheck.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

In Michigan, I don't think that is legal for a sole owner. Now, if you are inc. then you can.

8. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

did it when i was an llc

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup any type of incorporation you can, like LLC, but other than that I think that its illegal

10. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

In CT, if you Incorporate, and you are an officer, which you probably will be, you CANNOT collect. This is fact. be careful collecting....when it comes time to apply for anytype of loan, including a mortgage, the lenders do not look too kindly towards someone who does not work for 3 or 4 months. My suggestions: Budget your money and bills to make it through, or pick up a part time job.... stores hire holiday help and good waiters and busboys are always in demand.