Collection System Blower Drive System - Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Nov 7, 2006.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I tried searching for this and didn't find much. I'm wondering what you guys have to say about which is better, the Peco or Pro Vac collection system. I'm interested in knowing the pros and cons of a belt driven blower using the mowers power vs. a separate engine running the blower. I have zero experience with collection systems and I'm just doing my homework before a possible purchase for next season. Any feedback would be great, thanks.

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a giantvac fastvac for my bobcat, which is belt driven. I like it, I guess the cons are its a little harder on the engine which makes top speed slower but you can't really go full speed bagging no matter what. I don't like the bulkyness of an extra engine not to mention the maintenance of an extra engine. IMO belt driven off the deck is the only way I would go.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. jtkplc

Ok, have you ever used a vac system with a seperate engine?

4. Lynden-Jeff

Demoed but never owned. Just wasn't in to the whole tow a cart behind the ZTR thing. Just prefer the deck driven hang on the back baggier. Very efficient and very good at shredding leaves.

Cheers
    Jeff

5. jtkplc

Do you have any problems with lack of suction with the belt driven one? I over heard a couple guys at my dealer saying that the ones with seperate engines create so much more suction and don't get clogged as easily, what's your experience with that?

6. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

No problem with suction, actually does an amazing job at sucking up leaves. However if you let the bags fill up to the max it will clog like a mofo, however if your paying attention I have never had it clog on any other circumstances. I will post up some pics tomorow.

Cheers
    Jeff

7. Lynden-Jeff

And by fill up to the max, I dont mean to the top of the bags but to the point where the debris can't leave the tube it will start packing the tube.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Belt drive pulls on the engine and is very heavy on that side of the deck, you also need to keep the blower by the truck. The engine kind you can keep the deck boot with you and theres no pull on the motor or nothing heavy on the deck, you can also use the engine kind like a leaf sucker and more.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've had both.

The belt driven is simply less expensive to use in terms of initial cost and operating expense. Currently, we have 3 Hasty Vacs (clamshell type) and love them. They all have individual 6.5 Intec engines. I prefer the engine driven myself.

10. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I have the peco vac with the 6 hp kolher. To this point I have loved it. This weekend while doing leaf clean ups, we found another way to use it. In areas where we cant get with the mower in this case it was a gated back yard, we blew all the leaves to the gate and took the boot of the mower so it was just a hose and raked all the leaves into the catcher, the motor had enough power, and it was like a mini leaf loader.It worked really well, and I think if you can get a system with the seperate engine, you will be pleased.