Collection system for Grasshopper 725G2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yacht, Sep 7, 2002.

1. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

I own a 2002 Grasshopper 725G2 and am thinking about putting a collection system on it for picking up leaves this fall. The model # of the collection system is "15", Does anyone out there have any experience with these units? Do they pickup leaves and grass as well as the dealer says it will? Anything you can pass on to me is very much appreciated.:)

2. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

I have two 721D with the collection systems. They are great!! I have the metal hopper that can be dumped without leaving the seat. It will truly suck leaves, grass, and debris great!!! My advice is spend the money...you won't be sorry!:)

3. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking into buying one of these for awhile now but wasn't sure how it would perform. Glad to hear from someone in the real world that it truly works.

4. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

can't speak from experience but my GH dealer said that the GH vac systems are very well designed and built. the best point about them is that they have a separate impeller attached to the right deck spindle at the discharge point on the deck that 'shoots' the clippings up the tube into the hoppers. other brands rely on the speed of the blades only to propel the clippings up the tube to the hopper.
    he also said that the impeller does a great job on also mulching/grinding/shredding after the blades have done their job.

5. P. Nelson

P. Nelson LawnSite Member

digger1 - That's good to hear that the impellar also shreds the leaves after the blades do their job. I am having a model 15 installed on my grasshopper as we speak. Yacht I will let you know how well it works after I try it out.

6. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Bought the collection system for my 725G2 Grasshopper and am very impressed with its performance so far. We don't have alot of leaves down yet but its done well with pulling up the old grass and such. Its also nice for picking up garbage. Had an empty Mickey D's bag with empty coke cup and fry bag, sucked it write up and into the hopper with no problem.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got the model #15 collection system onmy Grasshopper. It has so much suction, that last year it sucked up a dead squirrel! The downside- it makes the mower top heavy on hills. I take mine off for grass cutting. Also I would recommend the fabric air deflector part #503011. When the machine sucks dry leaves, it makes a lot of dust. This shoots the dust downward. Also watch when you make turns, you can NO longer turn within the mowers own length. The bagger sticks out about 4 inches. You'll find out after you bang into a few things.

8. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

grasshopper kicks grass....says it on the side of my mower. very good at sucking leaves. just keep the speeds right.

9. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

Could you please elaborate on the fabric air deflector. What does it do? Cut down on dust?? Will it fit in the metal hopper? How do I know if I currently have it? THANKS!!!:D

10. P. Nelson

P. Nelson LawnSite Member

I also noticed that the model 15 collection system sticks out a little further so you have to be careful. Haven't hit anything yet. Also noticed that as the hopper fills, the weight obviously increases(especially with wet grass) the tractor gets a little bit clumsy handling. Not bad but a noticeable difference. Also noticed that the weight from the impellar hanging on the right side causes the left side of the deck to be a little lite.Overall I think its going to be a great tool and money maker.

What is the deflector made of? Do you remember the cost?