Collections dep't really SUCKS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, Jul 19, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I mean, once someone decides (for whatever reason) they are not going to pay, we are skru'd, there is NOTHING anyone can do that ultimately ensures they will pay... So really, why pay at all? Why pay anybody?

Ok so you can't walk in a grocery store and not pay for groceries, that would be stealing, but what about eating a meal at a restaurant, then just don't pay. Why not?

What can anyone do about it? NOTHING!
    Civil court? Bullcrap, they still don't have to pay.
    Garnishments, liens, bank account seizures? Worthless crap, you have to INFORM them you're going to DO it FIRST!
    And with the mechanic's lien, sheee, they have the option of doing absolutely nothing and 6 months later the lien disappears or can be removed without much further ado. Ok there IS another piece of paper one can file but does it really DO anything? Every filing costs money, and guess who has to cough this up?

what happens when the law don't help ...? (it doesn't, not when it gets down to the final, bottom line).

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you are right about notifying the garnishee but what is he gonna
    do quit his job ? That is where you have him where it hurts . Not many will quit a job to avoid being garnished for labor on lawn services.

All court costs, garnishment fees etc. can be added to and collected to satisfy the judgment. I worked in a court clerk's office for 20 years and this is how the hospital here collects nearly all of its outstanding debts when the patients don't pay. The little guys like us think this is just too much trouble and we'll never get our money out of the deadbeats.

Nosmo

Nosmo

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We usually get 1 or 2 a year that decide to try this. Once they get the notice from the court, they usually pay right up. I have never had to actually go to court yet. Just letting them know you are serious is usually enough. I think that with the number of scrub operations in this business, people figure they aren't legit. That gives them the upper hand since the lco isn't legal, they sure don't want to go to court and the deadbeat walks. Us on the other hand are legit, and will take any action to get our money. I just filed last week for a client that owes $206.00. The court date is Aug. 4th. I will let you know what happens.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yeah same here, most never even try it but like urself, 1 or 2 a year or so.
    one thing i've learned is never deal with real estate or insurance agents, they do it to me the most, followed by other business owners.
    so my biggest challenge right now is 2 real estaters and 1 biz owner, the rest i can usually deal with.
    but let me hear how it goes, so far i've not gone to court because after all is said and done, they still don't really have to pay.