Collections or Small Claims?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BCFLawnLandscape, Feb 6, 2007.

1. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have 4 accounts from last year that are over 500 bucks owed. I've sent them numerous notices stating their acct. was past due and am tired of messing with them. Which do you pursue first? Small Claims or collections? I know both are semi-costly but which produces better results for the money? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

2. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Now this is my opinion but I would go with collections. I am not sure how it is there but even if you win in court that they for sure owe you money you still have to collect it. I went to court 3 times on one person costing me money every time I went and I still didn't get my money.

I know for a fact that the constable went to her house 2 times but she didn't budge but more less said she was mad.

So, on that said if someone else can chime in here because I have a question on the collections as that is the way that I am going to go this year. When using collections what is required to get there debt put on there credit?

Thanks, Jason

3. Rufscape

Rufscape LawnSite Member

Yes I know how you feel my friend!!!! What I do is call them on a regular basis and leave messages and I also go to there home and knock on the door, after all, I know where they live. I do not threaten them because I don't want to go to jail but I nicely ask them about my money and what the situation was.... They usually pass me a check then or start making excuses...So I ask them to give me what ever they can until they are completeley paid off.. For me this is what works..
    Steve

4. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I had a lady one time that didn't pay after we had been there four times. After 2 attempted times that she was suppose to meet me and give me money and didn't show up I turned the tables on her. They had a gated driveway. I pulled up and parked my Z71 right behind it at 5:00 in the morning. The gate opened at 6:00 and a guy thought he was going to back out. He got out and said who are you. I said I am so and so with lawn care and he said well how can I help you. I said well you owe this much but it has not been paid. I will be here all day until I get my money. He said well that is all up to my wife. I said ok. Well I will move my truck so you can get out. 45 min later I had a check in the mailbox and then she chewed me out. Trying to say that she didn't owe the money, I was stalking, harassing, yall know how it goes.

It's much easier in my opinion to get your money before collections or even court. Whatever you gotta due.

5. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member